Leave The Night On

"What was that!?"  Eva cried out

"What was that!?" Eva cried out.

Antonio felt her cling to his side. He couldn't see anything. There was a little light coming off the burner on the stove. At least one benefit was that everything here ran on natural gas, so if the power went out, they still could have heat from the oven and stove. He heard shuffling around him. "I don't know, Eva. Jes?" He asked.

Her voice was distant. "I'm getting a flashlight, hang on."

There was some more shuffling and soon the entire kitchen was lit by a very bright flashlight. Jes pointed the light to the ceiling and pulled out a bag of candles. "I'm glad things are where I left them." She laughed. "Okay, so I have candles and flashlights. Everyone take one and check to make sure the doors and windows are closed and locked."

They did as they were asked. Antonio followed Jes to the utility room where she opened a closet and began to pull out coveralls. "Just what do you think you're doing?" He asked.

"I'm going to the end of the driveway to see what the hell just happened. If you haven't noticed, there's no light anywhere. Even the town is black. Sometimes, something happens in the country and it affects everyone." She zipped up the heavy, insulated coveralls. "I'll be fine. This isn't my first rodeo."

"Jes, it may not be your first rodeo, but you're pregnant... there are some things you just shouldn't do... it's dangerous out there right now. We don't know what happened. You can't possibly know what's out there... down power lines... coyotes." He argued. He didn't want her out there. They were better off waiting inside until someone came to check on them. That had to happen here, right?

"Antonio, I know how to shoot... I have rifles... and ammunition. I also know how to handle downed power lines. Don't forget... I was a country girl a long time before moving to the big cities. This is the norm for me. When it gets this cold, shit happens, and we're usually the last ones that power companies worry about. They tend to forget we exist."

Well, that answered his last question. "Let me come with you at least." He countered. He had no clue of what to do, but at least he could protect her. "Me and Jay. We'll come."

Jay appeared around the corner. "I heard my name. What's up... what the hell are you doing, Jes?!"

"Your sister wants to go outside to see what's happening." Antonio crossed his arms.

"Hell no!" Jay blocked the doorway. "You're not going outside."

Jes grabbed a key off the wall and opened the cupboard that was literally in the wall. She pulled out a .303 rifle. "You really wanna try me?" She checked to see if it was loaded and flipped on the safety.

"What the hell do you need that for?" Jay had no idea his sister even knew how to hold a rifle, never mind check it and use it.

"Well, Antonio thinks there's coyotes outside, and I need to see what we're dealing with. So either I go alone, or you two bundle up in the extra coveralls in that closet and one of you takes this rifle and I'll give my .22 to the other one and we go figure this shit out."