Lucas/You

Not mine

Ezra sighs as he hears the doorbell ring, not wanting to leave the confinement of his blanket. He's currently in the middle of an old movie marathon, snuggled up in a blanket with a bowl of popcorn resting on his lap. Throwing the blanket off himself, he gets up and places the bowl on the table. He walks towards the door and opens it, not expecting to see you standing in the hall with a suitcase, tears streaming down your cheeks.
"Mom kicked me out." you sob and Ezra looks at you in shock as he pulls you into an embrace, letting you cry into his chest.
"It's going to be okay. Everything is going to be okay." he tells you, rubbing your back in small circles to comfort you.
After what feels like a lifetime, Ezra leads you into his apartment, making you sit down on the couch so that you can tell him everything that has happened. He grabs a blanket and drapes it over the two of you, getting the bowl of popcorn and placing it on your lap, to which you smile at him gratefully for.
"She said that she didn't want anything to do with someone who is autistic. She gave me fifteen minutes to pack and then she made me leave. I got the bus here as I didn't want to inconvenience her." you explain to your big brother, Ezra hanging onto your every word.
"You can stay with me for as long as you need, (Y/N). I'm sure that Wes will be happy to see you again too. We'll get you enrolled at Rosewood High and then we'll see how it goes from there. You're not alone." he places a hand on your shoulder and you smile at how caring he is being.
"Thank you, Ezra. I don't know how I'm going to be able to thank you for doing this." you say.
"You don't have to. You're my little sister, (Y/N), I'm always going to be here for you when you need my help most." Ezra smiles at you.
"Where am I going to sleep?" you ask, looking around your brother's small apartment which is only sporting one bed.
"You can take the bed. I'll take the couch." he says, but you immediately start to protest.
"No, no. This is your apartment. I'll take the couch and you can have the bed." you reply.
"(Y/N)-" he begins, but you cut him off, not wanting to hear it.
"No, it's okay. Your couch looks comfortable anyway." you joke and he sighs as he realises that there is no point in arguing with you.

It's been a week since you started living with Ezra and he has managed to get you a place at Rosewood High. Today is your first day and you're really nervous as your autism doesn't let you start conversations very well. You also have ADHD as your autism makes you fidget around a lot and you're worried that you won't make friends because of this.
"Hey, you're (Y/N), right?" a girl comes up to you at your locker and you look up to see who she is. She has long brown hair and she's quite small. She's wearing a smile, but you still feel shy as it doesn't comfort you much.
"Um... yeah," you say nervously, not very good at starting conversations in case you say the wrong thing. "That's me."
"I'm Aria. Ezra told me that you're his sister." she smiles and you realise how nice she seems, as if she actually wants to make an effort with you.
"Do you mean Mr Fitz?" you ask awkwardly, not knowing why Aria is calling him by his first name.
"About that..." she trails off. "He's my boyfriend." she says and your eyes go wide as you realise what she just said.
"I'm sorry?" you say, confused as to why you're only finding out about this now.
"Ezra, I mean, Mr Fitz and I met at a bar one day before school started. I didn't know that he was going to be my teacher so we've been trying to keep our relationship low-key. Please don't tell anyone, he could get fired and I could get expelled." she pleads.
"Your secret is safe with me." you smile and you note how easy she is to talk to. She makes you forget about your inability to relate with other people.
"I told him that I'd show you around and make you feel welcome. You seem nice anyway, so I don't mind," she smiles and you smile back. "Are you okay with me introducing you to my other friends? He told me about your autism," she says and you blush. "You don't need to feel ashamed, we're all human here."
"Thank you, Aria." you thank her for being so kind to you as you were worried about being isolated here. She just shrugs and takes your hand, giving you time to slam your locker shut, before she leads you to who you presume are her other friends.
"Guys, this is (Y/N), Ezra's sister. (Y/N), this is Spencer, Emily and Hanna." she points to each of the girls in turn.
"Hello, (Y/N). I think that we're going to be great friends." the girl called Spencer says and you give her a sheepish smile.
The girls all strike up a conversation with each other and you take your time to look around the halls, seeing a boy staring at you from his locker. When he catches your eye, he blushes and looks away, burying himself inside of his book. Hanna spots you staring at him and she smiles to herself, before deciding to tell you who he is.
"That's Lucas," she says, catching your attention. "He's the photographer of the school. He does photos for the paper. He's really nice once you get to know him. You should try talking to him, it seems that he's taken a liking to you."
"Oh no, I couldn't," you blush. "I'm not good at starting conversations."
"Neither is Lucas." Emily chimes in with a laugh, making you feel
"We could help you talk to him if you want." Spencer offers, but you shake your head. The only way that you're going to make friends at this school is if you try and make the effort.
You look at Lucas once more to find him looking at you again and you decide to act on it. You walk over to him and he instantly turns his head so that he's reading his book, blushing as he realises that you caught him staring at you. You notice that he's reading one of your favourite books and you decide to use that to start a conversation with him.
"That's my favourite book." you say and he looks up at you, pretending to not know who you are.
"Really?" he asks and you nod, feeling slightly awkward but pushing it aside, not letting your autism get the better of you. You've been taking speech lessons for as long as you can remember to try to make you feel more comfortable when talking to others, so you use some of what you have learnt to talk to Lucas.
"I saw you staring at me," you tell him, but then you realise how creepy you sound and you mentally curse yourself for being so weird. "I think that it's pretty sweet how you blushed when I caught you."
"I was just admiring a pretty girl." he gains some confidence and you smile, the heat rising to your cheeks.
"I'm (Y/N)," you hold your hand out for him to shake. "I'm new to town."
"Lucas." he says, shaking your hand and you nod and smile.
"Well, Lucas. I have a feeling that we're going to get along just great." you say and he smiles, making your heart flutter as you think that he looks cute when he smiles. Your brother walks past you both in the hall and when he sees you talking to Lucas, he can't help but smile.
His little sister is growing up.