Life and death - Mona/Hanna

Not mine

When I open my eyes, the very first thing I notice is that the world seems grey. Literally, like the world has no saturation. I'm lying on my living room floor. How did I end up here? Was I drugged?

I can't remember a thing. When I try to think back all I get is a blurry mess.

The last concrete memory I have is saying goodbye to my Mom outside the house. I decide that I probably fainted or had another panic attack. That's not uncommon for me these days.

I stand up and look at the clock. That's odd, I think. The clock isn't working. I shrug and walk towards the front door, which is open. That's even odder.

As I step outside, there's an ominous feeling in the air. I can't put my finger on what it is. Something really isn't right here.

Something about the world that seems to be drained of colour. Something about the eerie silence. I can't hear any birds, planes or cars. It's just nothing.

There's no wind blowing, and it's November. It feels like time has just frozen and I'm stuck here.

As I walk down the path to the end of my front yard, all I can hear is the echoing of my footsteps on the concrete.

"Hello?" I call out. My voice seems louder than usual. It feels as though the entire world can hear my voice, but it also feels as though there is nobody in the world to hear my voice.

Maybe this is just a weird dream.

I pinch myself, and then pinch myself again when that doesn't work. Nope, I'm still standing here.

I walk a little further down the street, thinking that whatever is going on is very surreal. I don't really know what's going on, but I know I should keep calm.

I hear a faint noise coming from somewhere behind me. I turn around, but I don't see anything that could be making the noise. It gets a little louder, until I decide that the sound is a siren.

I can see the outlines of a car next to me, very faint. I step back, slightly frightened. The car begins to become brighter and brighter, and more solid right in front of my eyes. I'm bewildered. A car just appeared out of nowhere.

That's when I realise that the world is back in colour. And the noises are back. Many sirens, many people's voices. I hear people shouting, people crying. I look around.

The first thing I really notice is the yellow police tape over my front door. My heart drops.

Has something happened? Has somebody hurt my Mom? I try not to think about it. I will find out before I jump to any horrible conclusions.

I run forwards, towards my house. I weave in and out of the many people standing in the street in front of my house.

"Excuse me," I say, but there's so much going on that nobody is listening. I duck under people and finally I reach the front, where I recognise Detective Holbrook standing by my front gate. I am about to ask him if I can go through when he clears his throat and the crowd go quiet.

I step back to hear what he has to say. I realise that there are news reporters standing with him, and I wonder why my house is going to be on the news.

I am so utterly confused, and terrified at the same time.

"The investigation is ongoing," he says into the microphones of the reporters. "But we have ruled this a homicide."

Homicide? I feel goosebumps rise all over my body. So someone killed someone in my house? Please don't let my Mom be hurt.

"Although we did not find a body, the amount of blood in the house would indicate that the wounds were fatal."