Kisses - Hannily

Not mine

The girls visited Hanna often during the few days that she was in the hospital. They came and filled the room with news of the outside world, with scandal and heartbreak and laughter. She felt like she was in a bubble, removed from everything, and she listened to the speculation surrounding Alison's murder, the identity of A. They talked of Ian and Noel, and Hanna worried that her friends would end up in the hospital beside her with more than just a stupid broken leg.

At night she slept fitfully, waking with every noise, convinced that A was there in the corners of her dark room. When she closed her eyes she dreamt of Alison.

She wished her mother had agreed to move her into a double so that Hanna wouldn't have to sleep alone, but she'd insisted even when Hanna pressed. She came and sat with Hanna and Hanna didn't bring it up again, but she worried about her mother's mortgage, the bills, the hospital room. They'd worked it out, her mother said, but even so, Hanna worried.

Everything was so different than it had been over the summer when all Hanna had to worry about was how she would finally convince Sean to go all the way and whether or not she'd win homecoming queen.

On Hanna's third day in the hospital Emily came by on her own after school. She sat on the edge of Hanna's bed and drew an intricate design across the cast where it covered Hanna's thigh. Spencer had brought her a sticker to cover A's hateful autograph ('Sorry about losing my temper. My bad - Love A.' My bad? Asshole.) but it wouldn't stick to the plaster and it was making Hanna crazy as she repeatedly pressed it down.

"I have a better idea," Emily said and she set to work, hiding the words underneath an intricate layer of flowers and swirls.

They didn't talk much, just sat in each other's company and silently worried together. Hanna watched the way that Emily's hair fell over her shoulder and curled in front of her face as she concentrated on her doodle. Hanna reached out and pushed it back and out of Emily's way. Emily smiled up at her and resumed her work.

Emily had so much going on. Her whole life was changing. She had her strange friendship with Toby Cavanaugh. She had Maya and coming out to her parents. Hanna couldn't even imagine coming to terms with something so huge, realizing how hard it could be to be different. Hanna had spent years trying so hard not to be different, and here was Emily, blazing her own path, tentatively stepping away from the herd.

"I loved her as more than a friend," Emily had said that day at school when she was confronted by Detective Wilden and accused of destroying Alison's memorial. Later, Emily had admitted that she and Alison had once kissed. Ali pushed Emily away, laughed and assured her that it was 'practice' and that it didn't mean a thing to her.

"What was it like?" Hanna asked.

"What?" Emily didn't look up from her work on Hanna's cast.

"Kissing Alison," Hanna clarified.

"Oh," Emily said. She did look up now, but only for a moment before she shut down, ducked her head and looked away.

"You don't have to talk about it," Hanna said in a rush, trying to right things before Emily spooked and bolted, leaving Hanna alone until someone else decided to take pity and drop by for a visit.

Emily didn't say anything and Hanna tried hard to think of a subject change, but the only things she could think to bring up were things that she knew Emily didn't want to talk about. Do you think your parents will come around? Do you feel better now that we know? Now that they know? What's Maya like? How did this start? How did you know?

Hanna was pretty sure she knew the answer to her last question. It was Alison, of course. Everyone was a little bit in love with Alison, and Alison knew it. She probably knew what was going on with Emily before Emily even had any idea herself. Of course she'd thrive on that attention, at least at first. Hanna could easily see how it might have gone.