Chapter 14 - The Real Mandarin

Connor POV:

"Hey, Griffen!" Owen calls as he saunters up to my work desk. 

"Hey Owen," I say, internally groaning. "What's up?"

"You hear the news? Your team of  Avengers is down by one, maybe two."

"What?!" I say, my head snapping my head up as passes his tablet to me. The bold headlines "MANDARIN ATTACKS MANSION: STARK PRESUMED DEAD" stand out on the screen.

"Wait, why would this mean our team's down by two?" I ask, confused.

"Because Fury sent Carson to go find him. Barton dropped her off a couple days ago and she's gone dark. Haven't heard from her since. I think she's done." Owen smirks. "I think I'm going to talk to Dad about who would replace her. Between you and me, I think I can easily take her spot. See you later man."

I stomach sinks as I realize that Lexi hasn't responded back. She's always been one of the best with communication. I run back to my room and dig through my backpack until I find a small leather pouch. I untie the string and pull out a golden drachma.

It's time to make some iris messages.

Lexi POV:

One of Killian's henchmen picks up the Dora watch as it beeps like there's no tomorrow.

"Careful with that," I smirk as my shoulder finally heals. "It's limited edition."

"Hey, uh...Ponytail Express." Tony asks. "What's the mileage count between Tennessee and Miami?"

" Eight hundred and thirty-two miles," He responds.

"Darn. Skills." I say.

"Very nice." Tony smirks. I look over at him who's running the math in his head.

"I'm good like that." He says to the other guard, then looks at the watch that is still beeping. "Can you, uh...stop that?" 

"Break it, you bought it!" Tony says.

The other guard throws it on the ground and steps on it, breaking the watch. "I think I just bought it."

"Okay, that wasn't mine to give away. That belongs to her boyfriend's sister, and that's why I'm gonna kill you first." Tony says.

"Yeah!" I say until my brain processes what he just said. "Wait, what? Tony!"

"What're you gonna do to me?" The guard smirks.

"You'll see," He says, leaning back into the mattress frame.

"You're zip tied to a bed." The guard points out.

"Thank you for this useful piece of information. We would never have noticed if you didn't mention it." I sigh wringing my hands into my handcuffs trying to get the metal to break from the cold.

"Shut up." Ponytail express says. "What's he going to do about it huh?"

"This," Tony says, raising his hand to call the suit.

And nothing happens.

Of course.

"Trust me, you're gonna be in a puddle of blood on the ground in five, four, three...come on! Two..." Tony says, trying to call the suit. While he fails miserably, I twist my hands and finally break the cuffs. I catch the pieces before they clatter to the ground.

"Hey Tony, can I clear this place out first? While we wait for you to do your thing of course." I ask.

"You asking for a headstart Carson?" Tony says.