Chapter 25 - She only acts like she knows everything

Connor POV:

"Connor, they need you in the command room." My Insight officer says.

"What's going on? Because there most definitely is something going on." I say, remembering Lexi shoving me out of sight from strike team out for her.

"No idea, something about Captain America and your girlfriend." He says. "But you should go, I'll hold down the fort until you get back."

"Thanks, Dad," I smile. "I appreciate it."

"No problem, son." He smiles, putting his glasses back on to continue his work. I feel bad never telling Lexi that I was working with my dad, but he told me that I could tell her once Project Insight is done.

I walk down to the command room to find it in disarray and watch Agent Sitwell bark out orders at everyone.

"Eyes here people!" He yells. "Whatever your op is, bury it. This is level one. Contact DOT. All traffic lights in the district go red. Shut all runways at BWI, IAD, and Reagan. All security cameras in the city go through this monitor, right here. Scan all open sources. Phones, computers, PDA's, whatever. If someone tweets about either of these two, I want to know about it." He says, pointing to Cap and Lexi's profiles up on the big screen. I look up at her adult face and raise and eyebrow. It isn't like her to do something that would put her under this much attention. What the heck is going on?

"With all due respect," Sharon interrupts, voicing out my exact thought. "If SHIELD is conducting a manhunt for Captain America and Silver Arrow, we deserve to know why."

"Because they lied to us." A voice says from the back of the room. We all turn our heads to see Alexander Pierce walk into the room. "Captain Rogers and Agent Carson have information regarding the death of Director Fury, they refused to share it. As difficult as this is to accept, Captain America and Silver Arrow are fugitives from SHIELD."

(Mini A/N: Sorry about the really bad photo editing ^^^)

Meanwhile..........

Lexi POV:

"Lexi it's going to be there."

"It better be there otherwise I'm gonna freeze your freaking shield to the ground."

"That's just inconsiderate."

"It's handled a deep freeze before."

"....."

"Okay, that was mean..........truce?"

"Fine."

I sigh and park near the front of the hospital and we both hop off my motorcycle. We both had hit the gym earlier to grab other clothes without trackers embedded in them then I drove us here. The hospital where Fury died.

We walk up the stairwell to the vending machine and guess what? The flash drive isn't there.

Shocker.

Steve clenches his jaw until we hear bubblegum pop behind us. We both whip around to see Natasha with a very smug look on her face. Incredibly angry, Steve grabs her a pushes her into a room.

I sigh, look around to see if anyone noticed and then follow them in.

"Where is it?" Steve growls.

"Safe." She replies.

"Do better!" He snaps back.

"Honestly Steve?" I say, "It's not like you did."

"Shut up Lexi."

 "Just saying," I say, might hands up in defense.

"Where did you two get it?" Natasha asks.

"Why would we tell you?" Steve says and I facepalm. Wrong answer. He should have let me do the talking.

"Fury gave it to you. Why?" She realizes.

"What's on it?" I ask her.

"I don't know." She replies.

"Stop lying!" He yells and I finally snap at him. "Steve she isn't lying!"

"How do you know?" He says, turning back to me. 

"Because I know Natasha," I say and Steve gives in, not holding her against the wall as hard.

Boy....that just sounds weird.

"Geez Rogers I only act like I know everything." She says.

"But I bet you knew Fury hired the pirates, didn't you?" Steve asks and she shrugs. "Well, it makes sense. The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you."

"I'm not going to ask you again," Steve says.

"I know who killed Fury." She says and catches Steve's attention. "And I know Lexi does too."

Steve looks between us, most likely remembering what I said last time.

"Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists," Natasha starts. "The ones who do call him the Winter Soldier. He's credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last fifty years."

"So he's a ghost story?" Steve asks.

"Five years ago I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran, somebody shot at my tires near Odessa. We lost control, went straight over a cliff, I pulled us out, but the Winter Soldier was there. I was covering my engineer, so he shot him straight through me." Natasha says before pulling up her shirt. "A Soviet slag, no rifling. Bye-bye bikinis."

"Yeah I bet you look terrible in them now," Steve says, giving her a look. There's a hint of a smile on her face before it disappears. "But I think Lexi had it worse."

"You could say that," I respond. "I was in the car in the back seat. Mom knew that someone was after her so she got Connor and I out of the apartment and in the car. I found out a couple months ago that she was originally going to bring me to SHIELD to stay safe. We took the Brooklyn Bridge out of the city but halfway through the bridge the Winter Soldier was there. Shot my mom and then our tires." I say. "We veered into incoming traffic only to get nailed by a semi and thrown off the bridge. I got Connor out of there and once I broke the surface, I saw him looking over the edge. Met my glance before dissapearing."

"Going after him is a dead end. I know, we both have tried." Natasha says pulling out the flash drive. "Like you said, he's a ghost story."

Steve takes the flash drive and looks between the two of us, put mainly at me. "Well, let's find out what the ghost wants."

Hey guys!! So I'm here with a late update...again.

I sowwy.

Anyway if you liked this part don't forget to vote, comment and follow me if you haven't already!

Happy Forth of July to all my America Readers!!! XD

Shoot Straight,

StraightOuttaArrows