Chapter 31 - Can't kill you if you're already dead

Lexi POV:

"GSW. She's lost at least a pint." Maria says as we walk through the hallways of this abandoned safehouse that's proving to be not as abandoned as I had expected.

"Maybe two," Sam adds.

"And the other's been injected with a nervous stimulant." Maria finishes.

A doctor starts running toward us. " Let me take them."

"They'll want to see him first." She adds and he nods, calling out for some help.

We walk quickly down the hallway, more footsteps joining ours. "Need a hand Lex?"

I look over my shoulder as Sam transfers my weight over to Connor. "When did you get here?"

"I was kidnapped." He answers simply. "You know, the usual."

I shake my head, not able to hold back a smile as he wraps an arm around my shoulders, helping me through the building before stopping near a curtained off bed.

Hill pulls back the curtain and we're left in shock.

"About damn time," Fury says, bandaged up from what should have been his death.

"Sorry, we got a little stuck in traffic." I deadpan, not even realizing what I said. "You know how it is getting out of the city at this time."

Fury gives me an amused look before other people from who knows where come to help us. The doctor sits Natasha and I down to treat us yet Connor's hand never leaves mine.

"Lacerated spinal column, cracked sternum, shattered collarbone, perforated liver, one hell of a headache," Fury says, listing off everything that he hurt.

"Don't forget out your punctured lung," The doctor adds.

"Oh, let's not forget that." Fury remarks. "Otherwise, I'm good."

The doctor turns to me as Natasha and Steve continue to speak with Fury.

"This should counteract the stimulant in you and dull the pain," The doctor says before wiping my forearm with cleaning alcohol and sticking a needle in. I let out a contented sigh as the stinging sensation fades away. The doctor goes back to Natasha as Connor shifts his position so I can rest my head on his shoulder comfortably and listen back into the situation.

"Why all the secrecy? Why not just tell us?" Steve asks.

"Any attempt on the director's life had to look successful." Hill answers.

"Can't kill you if you're already dead." Fury adds. "Besides, I wasn't sure who to trust."

There's a moment of silence before Agent Hill speaks up. "It must have been a long day for all of you. Rest for a little while and in a couple hours we can decide what to do."

After a murmur of agreement, everyone goes their separate ways except for Fury. Because of the whole accident.....yeah, you get it.

"You want to go see the others?" Connor asks.

"Who else is here?" I ask as he leads us to a different room.

"Lexi!" Olivia exclaims before getting up and giving me a hug. Tressa looks up at me from her laptop before giving me a smile and then a groan. "Do I have to get up. Can you just get my appreciation that you are alive from over here?"

We all laugh. "I'll take it. Where's Syd and Louis?" I ask.

"They went back to camp as messengers to warn everyone about Hydra," Olivia explains.