Chapter 27 - I Jinxed It......Whoops

Lexi POV:

"Lexi! Lexi wake up!" Someone says shaking me awake. 

"Uggghhh," I groan like a dying horse. "Five more minutes,"

"Lexi, get up we're here," Another voice says a little more sternly.

I open my eyes to Steve shaking my arms and Nat standing outside with her hands crossed.

"Geez okay, I'm getting up," I say, grabbing Steve's hand for support and jumping out of the truck.

We break into the chain link fence and walk around, looking for any signs of life.

"This is it?" Steve asks, recognition sparking in his eyes.

"The file came from these coordinates,"

"So did I," Steve says and I realize the gravity of the situation. Steve was trained here. This is where he went before he became Captain America.

"Oh, Steve," I murmur and touch his hand. He gives me a sad smile and continues on.

"Changed much?" Natasha asks.

"A little," Steve responds then his eyes become distant and I know it's better to leave him alone.

"This is a dead end. Zero heat signature, zero waves, not even radio. Whoever wrote the file must have used a router to throw people off," Natasha says. "You jinxed it Lexi,"

"I'm sorry!" I reply as Steve starts walking toward a building.

"What is it?" Natasha asks.

"Army regulations forbid storing ammunition within five hundred yards from the barracks," Steve says, staring at the bolted door. "This building is in the wrong place,"

He strikes the lock with his shield and breaks it, pulling the door open. The three of us step inside and look around in the darkness. Natasha flips a light switch and we notice the SHIELD insignia on the wall.

"This is SHIELD," Natasha says surprised.

"Maybe where it started," Steve says. We walk a little aimlessly until Steve notices some pictures on the wall. He looks up at each of them and sighs. I put my hand on his arm for support and he smiles, placing a hand over mine.

"There's Stark's father," Natasha says.

"Howard," Steve interjects lost in a memory.

"Who's the girl?" She asks and I give her a look. There are better ways to test if he's alert. Steve doesn't reply and turns away to explore the rest of the office. I notice Peggy's picture frame is a little crooked, so I walk up to it and fix it until I hear the creak of metal.

I whip around to see Steve pulling a shelf aside.

"Why do you need to hide the elevator?" He says to himself. I walk up to him as Nat punches in the code.

"You alright Steve?" I ask.

"I'm fine, thanks, Lexi. Just want to get this over with," He says.

We get in the elevator and we descend into a room full of horribly ancient computer systems.

If Felicity Smoak was here she might cry at the obsoleteness of the technology. (A/N: I just had too XD)

"This can't be the data-point, this technology is ancient," Natasha says.

"Not as ancient as Steve," I mutter, gaining a snort from Nat and a small smirk from Steve. I do a little fist pump, happy that I got Steve to smile, that just makes him smile even more.