Chapter 26 - "Specimen"

Connor POV:

"Shouldn't you be helping with the search for Captain Rogers and your girlfriend?" Dad asks as I come back to my desk.

"I already told Sitwell everything I know," I say. "Whatever patterns Lexi used to use, she's not using now. I haven't seen her and actually spent time with her in forever so I don't even know what's really going on with her anymore. So I'm not exactly of use to them right now. Sometimes I don't know why I'm even an Avenger."

"Because of your brain and because of your heart." He says. "Son, just because you don't have powers, doesn't mean you can't be a hero. Athena gifted you with an intelligent brain and you contributed so much to Project Insight. I am very proud of you kiddo."

I smile. "Thanks, Dad. Can I ask you something?"

"Go ahead, Connor." He responds.

"The last time I saw Lexi, she had just confronted the man who murdered her mom," I say and Dad kinda stiffens but immediately relaxes. So quickly that it might have just been my eyes. "He's got this metal arm and he must have scared her to the bone. Even though she's technically a fugitive, when she comes back, what should I do?"

"Son, you're probably asking the person who knows the least about women." He chuckles. "But act on how she is the next time you see her. You've known Lexi since you were little. You'll know what to do."

I smile. "Thanks, Dad. Really."

"Anytime Son, anytime."

Lexi POV:

We stop by one of Nat's safe houses in the area to grab some clothes and supply up. I grab a new leather jacket (since I left my old hooded one behind) a black All Time Low shirt, skinny jeans, a gray beanie, some fake glasses, and a pair of purple converse. I also take my jewelry off and put them in my pocket to seem less noticeable, change my age to somewhere around 18, pull my hair out of its braid and grab my phone that is currently in stealth mode.

Why not just change my entire physique? Well it takes more energy being something other than myself and right now I need all the energy I can get.

After changing, we head out separately Steve and Natasha in her car and me on my motorcycle that I put in stealth mode. I also changed its license plate just to be safe.

Yeah.....Nat is extremely prepared.

Anyway, we drove to the nearest mall and parked semi-close to each other before I see them in the mall. I take out my phone and call Nat, so we can still communicate.

"Nat, would you mind giving Steve some pointers since he obviously has no idea how to be a fugitive." I tease.

"Okay," She smirks and I hear Steve sigh. "First rule of going on the run is, don't run, walk."

"If I try running in these shoes, they're going to fall off," Steve says and I snort.

They walk into an Apple Store and I sit in the cafeteria outside, the store, keeping an eye out for any SHIELD agents.

"The drive has a level six homing program," She says. "so as soon as we boot up SHIELD will know exactly where we are."

"How much time do we have?" Steve asks.

"Uh.....nine minutes from....now," Natasha says.

"Want me to stay outside or come in?" I ask them.

"You can come in. It might be better." Steve says. I hang up the phone and walk into the store, looking around before sliding onto the computer next to them, pretending to look at what apps are on the computer.