Chapter 24 - Have you ever been on the run before?!

Lexi POV:

A little while after Fury was pronounced dead, I left the hospital. I couldn't sleep so I went straight to the SHIELD training room.

I needed to punch something. Bad.

So that's exactly what I did. For the next five hours straight until some agent interrupted me.

"Agent Carson, your presence is requested by Alexander Pierce." He said.

"Can't you see **punch** I'm having **kick** some incredibly **punch** personal time **punch** with this punching bag?" I say, not bothering to stop or look at the agent.

"He's insisting. Plus Captain Rogers will be there." He remarks. I continue to ignore him and release my anger at the punching bag.

"You know I'm really feeling the love Lexi. Give it a break." He says and I turn my head sharply at him, about to make some witty statement until I recognize the person.

"Uri-James!" I exclaim. "I haven't seen you in forever man! Since like, before New York! How's your brother?"

"Yeah! Nathan's good he's working down with the Insight crew. And by all means I would love to catch up....but Pierce is kinda nagging me to get you up there right now."

"Yeah. Yeah, sorry about that. Let me get changed and I'll head up."

James nods and I run to the locker room and quickly change into my combat uniform. If you don't remember who James is...he and his brother Nathan used to bunk with Sammy and I when Connor and I had our little conflict about a year ago. We used to call them Uriah and Zeke because they reminded us of the Pedrad brothers.

He leads me to the elevator once I'm done and we head up to the top floor and gestures for me to walk down the hallway.

"You coming?" I ask.

"Nah, they need me down at Operations. Catch up some other time?" He asks.

I smile. "You bet."

I walk into the door and knock on the side, alerting Pierce and Steve of my presence. "Um, sorry I'm late....I was going a couple rounds with a punching bag and kinda got carried away."

"Not a problem," Pierce smiles. "Take a seat Agent Carson. I was about to ask the questions that I wanted you to be here for so this works out perfectly."

I nod and take one of the seats next to Steve.

"Captain, why was the director in your apartment last night?" Pierce asks.

"I don't know," Steve answers.

"Did you two know it was bugged?" Pierce asks.

"We did," I say. "Because Fury told us."

"Did he tell you he was the one who bugged it."

I stay silent, not sure what to say. Steve and I share a nervous glance and look back at Pierce.

"I want you two to see something," Pierce says. He taps tablet and pulls up some footage on the big screen.

"Who hired you?" A SHIELD agent asks as Batroc sits there silently, his "resting-angry" face absolutely clear.

"Is this live?" Steve asks.

"Yeah, they picked him up last night in a not-so-safe house in Algiers," Pierce says.

"Are you saying Batroc's a suspect?" I ask. "He might be dangerous but I don't think assassination his his style?"

"No, it's more complicated than that Agent Carson." Pierce answers. "Batroc was hired anonymously to attack the Lemurian Star and he was contacted by e-mail and paid by wire transfer. And then the money was run through seventeen fictitious accounts, the last one going to a holding company that was registered to a Jacob Veech."