Chapter 21 - Netflix and.....yeah, that's really about it

Several hours later

Lexi POV:

"Going to rant on Fury?" I ask Steve as we take the elevator up to Fury's office, still in our tactical/combat uniforms.

"More or less," Steve replies.

"I figured, I just wanted to make sure, you know before all Hades breaks loose," I say, looking out the glass windows to the Potomac river. If I look closely enough, I can see the Naiads in the water. But it's difficult, with the Mist blurring their image.

"Steve, can you see them?" I ask, without actually thinking.

"See who?" He asks, his head turning in my direction.

"The Naiads, in the river," I say, waving as one of them somehow notice me.

"Lexi, I don't see anything," Steve says, confused at who I'm waving to. 

"Look harder and believe that it's possible," I say looking up at him.

"Lexi, I still don't......." He says, before trailing off, his mouth dropping in awe and he meagerly waves to them. "Wow."

"Yeah, well, don't encourage them. Naiads are horrible flirts. Learned that from a friend." I smile, thinking about Annabeth and Percy.

"Hey Steve, do you still want me to go with you to-"

"Not if you don't want to Lexi. You've already done a lot with just finding her. But if you do want to come, I won't mind the company," Steve replies, the corners of his mouth threatening to twitch into a growing smile. "And let's just say you are starting to grow on me."

"Thanks, Steve," I smile back. "You aren't too bad yourself."

Steve is about to respond when the elevator slides open, and Steve stalks out, rapidly switching back to his full "Avenge for Freedom" mode.

"You just can't stop yourself from lying, can you?" Steve questions.

"I didn't lie. Agent Romanoff had a different mission than yours." Fury responds.

"Which you didn't feel obliged to share," Steve says.

"I'm not obliged to do anything." Fury says.

"Those hostages could've died, Nick." Steve counters.

"I sent the greatest soldier in history and two of my best agents to make sure that didn't happen." Fury replies before turning to me. "Speaking of which, what are you even doing here Carson."

"Moral support, nothing better to do...the usual," I respond.

"Well you're needed on the roof, we got a couple new recruits that are heading in that need briefing."

"Will I be done by this afternoon?" I ask.

"Depends on how fast you get moving," he responds, an eyebrow rising.

"Yup, I got it," I reply. "I'll head up there, see you back at the apartments Steve."

I walk out the door to the elevator and jab my finger at the up button. Multiple times. And rapidly. With much force until the door opens. I can literally imagine someone's voice saying "press it gently."

I roll my eyes at myself and step in. "Rooftop Helipad," I tell the elevator and the door shuts. 

Then there's just silence. That comfortable silence I normally get at night, when it's just me in the apartment staring out the window. That's always been a habit of mine, ever since I was little. Just sitting on the windowsill to enjoy the view.