Chapter 30 - Fitz indirectly saves our lives

Connor POV:

A few hours earlier....

"What's going on?" I ask as agents run past my workspace toward the garage before turning back to the algorithm on my computer. Dad looks up from his work and surveys the noise.

"Well, I'd assume that the asset has found Captain Rogers and Alexis and that team's going to pick them up. Goodness Connor, I thought you knew how things like this worked."

"Yeah," I say and look back down at my workspace. Let's just say I've been wondering what this algorithm that is supposed to run Insight is. So, let's just say I was able to find my way into the system. Lexi isn't the only one who knows their way around a computer.

But now that I'm in, the algorithm is the exact opposite than what I thought it would be. I scroll through the targets of what will be the Insight carriers and see the names of innocent people, Avengers, scientists, agents. Friends and family. My name lands on a set of names and my stomach drops.

Targeted Demigods:

Agent Alexis Carson

Agent Leo Valdez

Agent Calypso

Strike Team Demigod Members

Demigod populations of Long Island, NY

Demigod populations of San Fransisco, CA

I swear under my breath and quickly change my screen. They may as well have said demigod but me.

But there's no way Dad knows what's really going on right? "Hey, Dad?"

"Yes, Connor?" He replies, not looking up from his computer.

"How is this going to help SHIELD?" I ask and he looks at me confused. "I mean I know that I've been working with you on Project Insight forever, so I just want to know that my work here is going to pay off."

Dad smiles, almost relieved. "Connor, these carriers are going to keep the world safe and bring justice to those who deserve it before they have a chance to make the world worse. Those who stand in the way of progress, no matter who they are. You understand?"

A pit forms in my stomach but I fake a smile. "Of course. Good to know that my work and time is being put to good use. One last thing."

"Go ahead?"

"Do you mind if I take the night off? I don't really want to be here when they bring Lexi in."

He lets out an understanding smile. "Of course."

I give him a forced hug and leave the room before heading out of the building and walking home. I pull out my stat phone and send a text out to Leo to warn him.

 I pull out my stat phone and send a text out to Leo to warn him