Chapter 23 - You Again....

Lexi POV:

"I don't know what Sam was thinking, I've had better pizza in Brooklyn," Steve says as we walk up the stairs to our apartments.

"Honestly, I think I've had better pizza anywhere but there," I laugh. "It was pretty bad. But what I could use right now is a good movie. I'll get Connor once I show you how to get it up."

Steve's about to respond when we hear a voice on our floor. One that I actually recognize.

"That's so sweet. That is so nice. Hey. I gotta go, though. Okay, bye." Steve and I walk up our final steps to see Sharon......sorry Kate the "nurse" across the hall. She smiles at the two of us before speaking. "My aunt, she's kind of an insomniac."

Steve smiles at her and she looks down. "Yep."

"Hey," Steve speaks up. "If you want...if you want, you're welcome to use my machine. Might be cheaper than the one in the basement."

"Oh yeah? What's it cost?" She questions and Steve shrugs. "A cup of coffee?"

She smiles a little more. "Thank you, but um...I already have a load in downstairs, and, uh...you really don't want my scrubs in your machine. I'm just finished orientation in the infectious diseases ward, so."

"Ah, well, I'll keep my distance," Steve says, backing off.

"Well, hopefully not too far." She says and Steve looks back up, a little hopeful.

"Oh, and I think you left your stereo on," Sharon says before walking off.

Steve nods, before pausing for a moment and getting his key. "Oh. Right, thank you."

"Steve?" I say. "You okay?"

He looks back at me. "Lexi, I didn't turn on my music today."

My eyes go wide with shock and he quietly unlocks the door. He shuts it behind us and grabs his shield. I will my bow and quiver out and grab and arrow, nocking it as we creep. We both turn the corner ready to fight.....to find a battered and bruised Director Fury.

Steve and I sigh in relief and I put my arrow away.

"I don't remember giving you a key," Steve says, resting against one of the walls.

"Do you really think I'd need one?" Fury says. "My wife kicked my out."

I raise and eyebrow.....he doesn't have a wife........or does he?

"Didn't know you were married," Steve says.

"There are a lot of things you don't about me." Fury counters.

"I know, Nick. That's the problem." Steve says, turning on a light. Fury shakes his head and turns it off. I look at Steve and meet his confused glance. Fury holds up his phone and types out a message.

EARS EVERYWHERE

He then deletes that and types out something that makes me sick to my stomach.

SHIELD COMPROMISED

Steve furrows his eyebrows. "Who else knows about your wife."

JUST US

"Just...my friends." Fury says.

"Is that what we are?" Steve asks.

Fury shrugs, getting up. "That's up to you two."

I would love to give some clique response that I somehow knew what was going to happen, but I didn't. All I could make out in the moment I guess was three gunshots.