Chapter 6: Peeta's confessions

Chapter 6

Katniss P.O.V.

Peeta and I decided to leave Annie and Finn alone about an hour after we got home to her. They started licking each other's faces, and we felt that we didn't have to sit and watch when they did that. They deserve some time alone anyways, they're not all alone a lot.

We walk around without really knowing where we are going. And I feel it's a little embarrassing to be by myself with Peeta because of the fact that I fell asleep in his arms, not so long ago.

"Does your mother and Haymitch knows that he beat you?" Peeta asks suddenly.

"No," I say. "I have managed to lure in them that I'm just clumsy and stumble a lot, they suspects though, I don't understand how they can believe me when I'm so bad at lying."

"Yeah you are," Peeta laughs.

Oh his laughter. Sweet music to my ears. I could stand and listen to his laugh for hours.

"Ha ha," I say sarcastically. "Are you in a hurry home now at once?"

"No?" he says wonderingly.

"Okay great, I'll show you something," I say.

"What?" Peeta asks.

"A secret place," I say and take his hand and run with him in tow.

When we come to a fence, I walk up to a place at the fence where it is cut open. It's just because I know it is cut open there, I even see it. People who don't know it, don't see it and that involves everyone except for me, and now Peeta.

I pry the fence open and crawl through. Peeta crawl through after me and the hole fits him exactly.

We pass a lot of thick and long trees before we reach a big meadow, with a large willow in the middle. Primroses are growing at the edges of the meadow and the sun makes the very green grass look like it glows.

"Wow," Peeta says when he sees the beautiful meadow.

"I know, isn't it beautiful?" I say.

"Very," he says. "How did you find this meadow?"

"Dad showed me before he ..." I start but interrupt myself and frown when I start thinking about my dad.

Peeta nods. He knows that my daddy is a sensitive subject for me to talk about, so he don't ask further.

We walk up to the willow and I put a hand on the thick stem.

"I always go here when I feel upset," I say and lean back against the stem. "It's such a peaceful aroma here and it calms me down".

"I understand that," Peeta says nodding.

I slide into the grass still leaning against the stem. I take a deep calming breath and smile big.

"This is my favorite place on earth," I say.

Peeta smiles and sits down beside me.

I look at him, and only now I notice that he has a bruise on his jaw just below the ear. It's not something you notice unless you look closely.

"What have you done?" I ask and touch the bruise gently with my fingers.

Peeta looks caught. Why's that? What has he done?

"Oh ... uh ... I, uh, uh ..." he says and stumbles on his own words.

Peeta has always been the person who is good with words, always known exactly what to say, but now he seems to not be able to say what he wants.