Chapter 13: Please wake up...

Chapter 13

Katniss P.O.V.

My butt doesn't leave the chair next to Peeta's bed at all.

I hold his hand tightly in mine and stare at his face so I don't miss his eyes flutter open.

He needs to wake up, he must, he can't leave me. He just can't.

Philip is standing behind me with his hands on my shoulders while Jake is sitting on the floor next to the door with his head leaning against the door.

Mr. Mellark walked to talk to the doctors.

"When he wakes up, I swear that I won't tease him anymore," Jake mutters.

"If," I mumble.

"Katniss stop," Jake begs, whining like a hurt animal with tears flowing from his eyes. "Just stop stop stop.

"What Jake? Do you think I want that? No. I want him to wake up as much as you do," I say. "I just want to take the picture from when he was shot out of my head, he just sank down beside me, and it was so much blood, so much blood."

I cry violently again and Philip starts massaging my shoulders again to reassure me. I lean my head on his stomach.

"I'm sorry Katniss," Jake says sincerely sorry.

"No it's okay, it's your brother, not mine," I say.

"No, but it's your boyfriend and you mean so much to him, Kat," Philip says. "He can never talk about anything but you, you should know that, through all the misery our mom puts him through, you manage to make him happy."

"Peeta, please, wake up now," I suddenly exclaim while I continue to cry. "I need you, please, you can't leave me here alone Peeta, Peeta I ..."

The door flies up and slams on Jake who groans in pain when the door hits him hard.

The group rushes in through the opening and stop just inside the door to take in the scene before him. Me sitting on a chair beside Peeta's bed, Philip standing beside me with his hands on my shoulders.

Annie is the first to move and runs up to me. She sits down on her knees in front of me, embraces me in a hug and I cry on her shoulder.

I've never seen Finnick cry before. But now he stands in front of the bed by Peetas feet, crying.

Marvel stands behind me next to Philip to talk, while Glimmer is the only one who seems to have noticed that they slammed up the door on Jake. She walks back and remove the door from Jake who got a red mark on his forehead.

Clove has collapsed on the ground and Cato lifts her up on her feet and hold her up.

He has protective arms around her as if someone would come into the room and start shooting here and now.

"Shh Clove, it'll be okay," he says and kisses her on the cheek.

Clove looks at me and then at Peeta.

"Cato you'll never leave me, you promise that?" she asks facing Cato.

"I promise, sweetheart," Cato says and kisses her.

"Oh Katniss sweetie," Annie says.

She brushes the hair from my face.

"Annie ..." I cry.

"But when has the doctors said that Peeta is going wake up?" Finnick asks devastated.

Jake and I just break down again. Glimmer is hugging Jake and he is crying so hard on her shoulder. The others looks terrified from me to Jake and back again, before looking at Philip for answers.