Chapter 29: The scrap book

Chapter 29

Katniss P.O.V.

"Katniss?"

"Yeah Peeta?"

We're sitting in Mr.Mellarks car again. This time on our way from the police station.

Peeta and I are sitting in the back with Philip again.

Philip is pretty tense. He's really angry with his mother. And I understand him.

There's going to be a trial and Peeta has to attend as the plaintiff. At first he didn't really want to. I mean I can understand him. It's his mother and no matter what it can't feel very good to put her in jail. But Mr. Mellark convinced Peeta otherwise. He has to do this, otherwise his mother would be free and Peeta wouldn't. He understood that so he agreed on this.

"Would you mind sleeping over at my place, I really don't wanna be alone right now", Peeta asks looking at me with those eyes that looks so sad and begging that my heart breaks into a million pieces.

Usually that kind of a question in the presence of others, would make me blush until my head explored because it got overheated. Now, I don't feel like that. My boyfriend needs me right now. His always there for me. Always. He helps me, he looks after me, he does everything I ask, and he doesn't complain while doing it. I can be a good girlfriend and do something for him as well. And this is like the least I can do. Besides, I really don't want to be separated from Peeta. I want to sleep over at his place.

"Of course", I say.

I can see that Mr. Mellark looks at me and Peeta in the rear view mirror. I can see a hint of a smile on his face besides all that misery.

I think that he's glad that Peeta has me. But I'm so lucky to have Peeta. And it's crazy how much I love him.

Mr. Mellark stops by my house so I can get my stuff. So after I said my goodbyes to my family, I'm back in the car but soon at Peetas house.

"Dad is it okay if the others comes by for half an hour or so, I think it's time I talk to them and they know that something's up", Peeta says looking down on his phone screen.

I see that his texting Finnick.

I yawn and put my head on Peetas shoulder.

I think that he needs to tell them. I know that he wants them at the trial. He needs the support from his friends.

"I guess, but not too long though", Mr. Mellark says as he pulls up on the driveway of their house.

I walk directly up to Peetas room while he does something in the kitchen. I close the door and take out my sweat pants from my bag. I take off my shirt and walk up to Peetas drawer and take up a big t-shirt that is tight on Peeta, but baggy on me. I put it on and breathe in the scent. Peetas scent. And I start to shudder when I get all warm in my body.

I walk and lay down on the bed. I feel something under Peetas pillow. Something hard.

I stick my hand under the pillow and pulls up something that looks like a book. No, not a book, more like an album.

I frown when I see the title of the album.

"Peeta and Katniss".

It's obvious that it's Peeta who's written this.

But why does it say that?

I open the book and realize that it's a scrap book.

On the first page it's a big photo of me and Peeta. Peeta has an arm around my neck and I have an arm around his waist. We're like seven or eight on this photo. I have my hair in two braids and a red headband. Peetas ashy blonde hair is like always stirred in a mess. And now I see something I maybe didn't realize back then. A bruise on his jaw. A blue and purple one. It was new. But no matter that bruise his smile couldn't be bigger or happier in that moment, when the photo was taken. And my smile can be compared with the sun. I must have been really happy that day. But now I realize that it must have been Peeta who made me smile like that.

I smile the photo. Even though I feel kind if bothered by the fact that Peeta did in fact have a bruise and I didn't notice makes me feel so dumb. Me and Peeta have been best friends for as long as I can remember and I didn't notice. But... Maybe I did. Maybe Peeta just convinced me that he made that bruise.

Under the photo it says:

"Peeta and Katniss forever best friend".

Peeta wrote so beautifully even as a seven year old.

But I don't feel like the sentence is completely done. We're still beat friends of course, but it should be saying: "Peeta and Katniss forever best friends and for always together".

I sigh low and turn the page.

The whole scrap book is full of photos of me and Peeta. On a page with me, I'm alone on the photo. I'm standing in a goofy position, it looks like I'm about to fall but the photo is pretty cute, my smile is so big and my eyes looks big as well and they're shining of happiness. I'm guessing Peeta is on the other side of the camera.

Around the photo Peeta has painted katniss rots. It's beautiful.

"I knew you would find it", I hear behind me.

I jerk and turns my head.

"You don't hide things very well, you know", I say as Peeta sits down on the bed.

"I know", he says smiling.

"I can't believe how beautiful you wrote and painted even at this age", I say.

"Yeah well, I really made an effort on this scrap book", he says. "Which photo do you like the best?"

I did find one that made me tear up.

I turn back the pages and show Peeta the photo. We're on the ground. Peeta is leaning against a tree and I'm sitting between Peetas legs. He puts a flower crown my head and I kiss his cheek.

Around the photo Peeta has made all kinds of hearts, paper hearts and painted hearts.

Peeta smiles, looking at the photo.

"That one was the hardest to put in here", he says.

"Why?"

"The boy in this photo never thought that he would get the girl", he says.

This was before I fell in love with Peeta. Like five or six, maybe even seven years before.

"But he did, and most important, the girl in the photo got the boy", I say and close the scrap book as I crash my lips onto Peetas.

But then we hear someone clear his throat. The others are here now.

Now Peeta needs to tell them.

🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

✏️1167✏️

Hey you guys, I hope you liked the chapter.

Please vote and comment to tell me what you thought.

-Josephine xx