☆| Prologue

Dedicated to: MinionGirl_X

Thank you for the votes and comments!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sibling relationships outlast marriages, survive the death of parents, resurface after quarrels that would sink any friendship. They flourish in a thousand incarnations of closeness and distance, warmth, loyalty and distrust"

~ Erica E. Goode

*Don't forget to watch the video I've attached with chapter :P *

PROLOGUE

Connor

The fire started two months before final exams. Not a real fire but the pain of the unfortunate series of events that followed, hurt like genuine burns.

My twin brother, Caleb Parker, and I were eighteen. Exams were just round the corner and I studied day and night, and Caleb? He didn't give a damn.

It was that one day, a few weeks ago, when Caleb and I were talking about our crushes when I told him about Harley Martinez.

Harley, how can I ever stop describing her? The first time I saw her, my heart did five somersaults back-to-back.

First, because of her sleek blonde hair that fell over her face and fair skin that I wanted to caress all day.

Second, because of the way she talked and her laugh that sounded like a song that I wanted to listen to forever. Even cuss words she spoke sounded mellifluous.

Third, when her beautiful green eyes met mine and she bit her lower lip.

Fourth, when she walked past me and her hand accidentally brushed against mine.

Fifth, because no girl had ever made me feel like that before and I just knew I had to have her.

I was the first one to express my feelings that day and when I did, Caleb, unexpectedly, lowered his head and closed his eyes shut. When he began to take deep breaths and winced, I knew something was wrong.

He looked up at me, his jaw taut, and exclaimed "They don't call us alike just like that" and stared at the ceiling "Connor..." he sighed "...I'm in love with her too"

It took a little while for me to comprehend what he meant but when I finally got it...it hurt. It hurt because I knew he had more chances than me. Like a cannonball fired straight toward my heart, I cursed myself.

I knew if Harley had to choose between the two of us, she'd choose Caleb. It was a blatant fact and Caleb knew it.

He knows how to deal with all type of girls and his best friends are all the famous folks. I, on the other hand, have a few friends but they are friends that I can thank God for. 

He was staring at me with pleading and anxious emerald-green eyes as if he wanted me to give up. But why should I? I knew he saw the same look in my light ocean-blue eyes; troubled and distressed.

He scared me.

He scared me to the core since that day.

Everytime he'd disappear amidst the mob of students in our highschool corridors, it made my blood run cold. Like a cat on hot bricks, I'd look frantically for him to catch a glimpse of what he's doing.

Was he talking to Ley?

Was he stalking her?

The bond between us was strong; yes, we had fights but we only ended up commiserating with each other. We always stood up for each other and understood one another more than our parents would ever.

We were each other's best friend and were determined that no one would ever break this bond.

That day when we both sat in silence on our couch in our spacious living room, looking up at the chandelier that hung low, we knew that none of us were going to give up on this girl and there will be days when we'll be running on fumes.

We didn't talk about it for long after that but I knew that the tussle had begun, and he knew it too...