Chapter 29

"Do you see anything?" Chris asks as he looks around himself before he eyes Gio who jumps down from the tree.

"No, the area seems to be clear"

"Are you sure this is the right place?"

"Yes, I confirmed it with both Devilin and Erika, this was the place Thomas was seen last" Gio replies as both of them make their way deeper into the woods.

"Strange, this place is very quiet, I was hoping for some traps"

"No, the only traps in here us fighting any mandrake but according to Devilin they will not come forth and fight us as he has ordered them not to"

"Still, what if there was someone to hurt them"

"Then they will attack for sure, but we will have to keep walking as well stay alert so we are not ambushed" Gio states as both of them keeps walking towards the area before they come to a stop in front of the house where Thomas was staying.

"I guess this is it" Chris speaks as he looks around the area to see if he can find something unusual.

"I will check the front, you go see the back," Gio asks as he walks towards the front door while Chris makes his way towards the back of the house.

*******

Gio carefully steps on the steps of the door, tapping his foot around to see if there were any traps or hidden key to the house but when he does not find anything unusual he goes to open the door.

However, before he could touch the door it opens on its own and a mandrake walks out welcoming him inside.

Gio hesitates a bit not trusting the mandrake even if Devilin gave him the words, as because of these mandrakes once his mate was suffering so he just stands in the doorway until the mandrake speaks.

"Safe inside"

"How can I trust your words?"

"We no harm master's friends"

"Are there others inside?" Gio asks next as he slowly makes his way inside of the house.

"We wait for master's next order"

"What about Thomas, do you know where he is?"

"He left, he no trust us, tried kill us"

"How did you survive?"

"We more," the mandrake states, as he takes Gio to the room where more mandrakes were staying.

Some of them were in very bad condition as if they were burnt and some were on the verge of dying with few of their limbs missing.

"Is there more of you or this is it?" Gio questions as he looks around the room.

"This is it"

"Can they make it out of here?" Gio asks pointing at the injured mandrakes.

"We no leave them," one of the mandrakes growls.

"Okay. Can one of you take me to the room Thomas used also tell me anything that will help us track him?"

"This way"

*******

Chris looks around the area finding it quite strange; he feels something off about the whole place even if he cannot pinpoint it.

He closes his eyes trying to awaken his powers as to get the extra help as he once again scans the area and at what he finds makes him frown.

With his senses more active and his eyes sharper, he finds something surrounding the house that could not bee seen through the naked eyes.