▬▬ 06. DEVIL'S SNARE

CHAPTER SIX
━━ DEVIL'S SNARE  ━━

【 CHAPTER SIX 】━━ DEVIL'S SNARE  ━━

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHE NEEDED TO GET away. Laurel didn't want to think about how bad her grandmother's condition was. It wasn't as if she was dying but Laurel knew somewhere in the back of her mind that it was inevitable. She didn't want to believe it either.

⠀⠀She rushed out of the school after heading to the Owlery and mailing a letter to her grandmother, onto the castle grounds, her shoes meeting the soft green grass and her eyes meeting the night sky. It was dark and chilly outside but she couldn't care less. She wrapped her jacket tighter around her and pulled out her wand, trekking towards the Forbidden Forest. She was never really afraid of the Forest; maybe because she found it rather intriguing if you didn't find yourself in the middle of centaur territory.

⠀⠀Laurel remembered last night's events vividly in her mind. She cried in front of James Sirius Potter. He was the last person she wanted to cry in front of. She didn't know if she could ever forgive herself for doing that. She really wished that he hadn't seen that side of her, the emotional side of her that was in complete and utter turmoil. Thanking Merlin that she hadn't seen his face when she cried into his shirt, she tried to push the memory away from her mind as she continued to walk towards the wooded area. But she knew the more she tried, the harder it would be. It just worked that way for some reason.

⠀⠀She avoided the boy all day. She changed her seat in the classes they shared (except Herbology, which there were assigned seats where she so happened to be next to James. She resented Professor Longbottom for the day) and spent most of her free time in the library, pretending to do work while actually trying to pull herself together enough to write a letter back. She knew that he had noticed her sudden change of behavior, never failing to notice from the corner of her eye his slightly disappointed face or the sag of his shoulders.

⠀⠀Thankfully, she had her brothers to talk to instead of just James. Dominique and Callen knew to leave her alone while she tried to recover from the sudden and shocking news of the letter. She found the both of them sitting at a table in the corner of the library, both reading a book but not actually reading it. They looked lost in the letters, their eyes distant from the world around them.

⠀⠀Laurel had walked to the two of them, sitting down quietly, startling them even so. They set their books down, glancing at each other before looking at Laurel with the saddest expression that she had ever seen in her entire life.

⠀⠀"You know about Grand—" Lorcan began, heaving a sigh.

⠀⠀"Yeah," Laurel cut in, her voice tight. "I know all about it."