▬▬ 29. CHANCES

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
━━━━ CHANCES ━━━━

【 CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE 】━━━━ CHANCES ━━━━

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

PHILLIP WAS GONE THE next morning. Laurel wasn't even surprised. Part of her wished he had stayed, to prove her wrong, to prove that he was worth it and that he was the one, but nothing would change her mind now.

⠀⠀She rolled over in her bed, looking at the time. Realizing she had work in a few hours, she got up quickly, waved her wand to fix up the room from the mess that had been created last night, and a second wave to lay out the clothes she was going to wear on her bed. Laurel headed to the shower, washing off all the previous night's grime and whatnot, discovering some marks on her neck. She grimaced.
⠀⠀Turning off the shower and wiping herself down, she quickly cast a charm over the marks, hiding them from view. She headed back to her bedroom, where she found Caesar napping on her bed in the sunlight, smiling at the cat. Laurel got dressed quickly, before heading to the kitchen to make herself some breakfast.

⠀⠀Laurel had almost completely forgotten about James' sudden letter had she not stepped on the blue envelope that was on the floor on her way to the kitchen. She picked it up, placing it in her kitchen counter to examine again once she made breakfast. She quickly made something for herself, sitting down with it at her table, a cup of warm tea and the letter in hand.

⠀⠀Pulling out the letter, she read it over again. March 1st. She glanced over at her calendar at her desk, realizing that it was a week from now. She had time to decide, right? And it's not like she would have to reply to him so quickly, right? Laurel put the letter back in the envelope, finishing her breakfast. With two waves of her wand, she had the dishes washed and the envelope in her work bag, grabbing her coat and putting on her shoes. Taking one more look in the mirror that hung in the corridor leading to the front door, she headed towards her fireplace, grabbing a bit of green Floo Powder that sat on her mantle. She watched Caesar jump up onto her sofa, who was watching her closely as she dropped the powder into it, igniting a heatless emerald fire.
⠀⠀"I'll see you later, Caesar," Laurel said to the cat as if he understood her, stepping into the flames. "The Ministry of Magic!"

⠀⠀The green flames began to spin around her, as well as other fireplaces in places she didn't know. Eventually, it stopped and she found herself looking at the Atrium of the Ministry, taking a step out of the fireplace, dusting herself off, walking to the lifts.

⠀⠀She stepped inside with about ten other people, dodging all the floating paper airplanes that flew inside the lift, saying good morning to some of the people standing near her. Just as the doors were about to close, Laurel saw someone running towards them, spotting a familiar face rushing towards them—Callen! Laurel jabbed her finger on the button to keep the doors open, letting her friend pass in before the doors shut again, the insanely well-dressed woman catching her breath. She wasn't wearing wizard robes like everyone else, instead, she was wearing a baby blue blazer with a matching pencil skirt, a cream top with a pair of white heels to match. Callen's black round glasses only added to how fashionable yet professional she looked.