▬▬ 19. STAY

CHAPTER NINETEEN
━━━━ STAY ━━━━

【 CHAPTER NINETEEN 】━━━━ STAY ━━━━

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
⠀⠀

LAUREL FOUND HERSELF laughing at one of Uncle Ptolemy's many cat stories. He always had a way to lighten the mood and her family desperately needed that right now.

⠀⠀Her family, Ptolemy, and Anika all were lounging in their living room after Disapparating back home after it all. Ptolemy and Anika would be staying with them for the next two days before the Scamander children headed back to Hogwarts. Laurel didn't feel ready to go back to school, but she knew it was for the best.

⠀⠀They all turned in early for the night; who knew a funeral could be so draining? The night, however, was the worst. As everyone went to sleep, Laurel found herself laying on her bed, feeling so alone. Her thoughts couldn't seem to stop and somehow always wandered back to her grandmother, bringing her to tearful tremors. Her head was filled with her screaming demons, only making her recently damaged mental state worse. She silently wished she wasn't alone. She silently wished that Callen or Dominique or James were here.

⠀⠀The next day, Laurel found herself spending half of it packing for school and the other half in the kitchen with her mum and Anika. They were baking cookies for themselves while the males in the house sat in the living room, playing a boring game of Exploding Snap (which wasn't usually boring; just this one time it was). The trio of the kitchen decided together to leave the men the burnt cookies; not like they'd really notice anyway.

⠀⠀She was so exhausted still from the previous day, heading up the stairs to rest. Glancing over at her unfinished trunk, she threw some more things in before disregarding it altogether, pulling the unread letters she had received yesterday but hadn't the chance to read.

⠀⠀There were many from James, many from Callen, and a few from the other three. Even Roxanne wrote, saying how she would be visiting today, around nine o'clock at night with a special someone. Laurel didn't think about it too much, retreating to the piano that sat in the corner of her room.

⠀⠀She would've normally turned to her paint sets, but she knew it would remind her too much of her grandmother to even lift the brush. So she went for her smaller hobby instead, the one that not many knew about. 

⠀⠀She turned her blue eyes onto the black and white keys of the piano, sighing a little with relief and admiration. She loved her piano and was incredibly sad before every school year to leave it. It wouldn't fit in their dormitory.

⠀⠀Laurel ran her fingers over the smooth keys, each one feeling familiar to her. She could almost hear the note of each key without playing it, the music singing through her mind. For once, something replaced the thought of her grandmother in her head.