▬▬ 23. GARBAGE BOY

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
━━━ GARBAGE BOY ━━━

【 CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE 】━━━ GARBAGE BOY ━━━

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

JAMES WOKE UP TO a searing headache, finding his glasses broken on the pillow next to him. He must've forgotten to take them off last night and broke them in his sleep. Sitting up, he glanced at the clock, hearing the faint snores of Asher and Evan. It was around four in the morning and he had no idea why he was awake.
⠀⠀He reached over the bed towards his bag that was strewn on the floor, pulling out his wand, accidentally pulling out a bottle of pumpkin juice in the process. The memories from the Astronomy Tower flooded into his mind, so quickly that his head hurt even more, his heart beating so quickly that he could hear it in his ears.
⠀⠀Chucking the bottle of pumpkin juice back in his bag, James turned to his broken pair of glasses, putting it on his pillow. With a quick wave of his wand and a whispered "Reparo!", his glasses were easily fixed. He put them on his nightstand, falling back on his pillow, closing his eyes, trying to fall back asleep as he had class in about four hours.

⠀⠀But he couldn't. Every time he closed his eyes, he could see Mara's smirk flash behind his eyelids, as if it were engraved into his memory. He groaned, sitting up again, regretting it immensely as his head pounded. Pressing his forehead to his palms, he got up from his bed, heading to the bathroom. Hopefully there was a potion of some sort brewed up by Asher to soothe this terrible, terrible headache.
⠀⠀But he found nothing. There was probably a spell...but he couldn't remember. Turning on the faucet, he watched through his blurry vision as cold water slipped through his fingers. The water was ominously chilling, or was his hand just hot? It seemed as though to turn boiling hot and then ice cold and suddenly boiling hot again, so hot he jerked his hand away from the water, turning off the faucet frantically. He could still feel Mara's hands on his body. There was cold sweat forming in his brow, his whole body tensing as he gripped the sides of the sink. Even then, James' grip slackened as sweat formed in his palms, his hands shaking, his breath getting heavier as if he had been running. The lights above him were flickering, but he barely noticed, looking into the mirror, his blurry reflection staring back at him.

⠀⠀There was a deep hatred for that reflection growing in his chest, festering, boiling into a rage that he had always known to immediately suppress. If he was a man, this wouldn't bother him. He would not react. Stupid, stupid, stupid. It wasn't his voice, it was hers, her cruel voice shrouded in pure innocence...Mara's, that was echoing those words through his mind. Why are you so stupid, James?
⠀⠀Why was he so stupid to have fallen for her tricks? He had done it before and he hadn't learned from his mistake. And now...this was worse than how he felt the first time. James looked away from the mirror, turning on the faucet again, this time the water remaining cold. But he didn't notice, splashing the water on his face. He was fine, he was fine. Fine, fine, just fine. James returned to looking in the mirror, taking a deep breath. He was going to be okay. Nothing could get in the way of him living his life, right?