▬▬ 18. I MISS YOU

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
━━━ I MISS YOU ━━━

【 CHAPTER EIGHTEEN 】━━━ I MISS YOU ━━━

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

ALL OF LAUREL'S apparent recovery at home was gone right when she stepped foot onto the cemetery grounds.

⠀⠀The dreaded day had finally arrived, and Laurel's heart had never felt more broken. Before she even stepped onto the grass, she stopped short right on the edge of the gravel versus the grass, causing her father to stop with her, the rest of the family already headed inside. Laurel reached over and took Rolf's hand, almost like a child too shy to meet someone new, grasping their mother's hand tightly, too afraid to lose her.

⠀⠀Rolf smiled ruefully at Laurel, squeezing her hand. They both then mustered the courage to head over, following behind Luna who wasn't too far off.

⠀⠀Laurel's plain floor-length black dress snagged on the weeds she was trekking through, but she paid it no mind, her eyes only on the coffin that sat in the middle of the field they were all heading to.

⠀⠀The place was absolutely beautiful. They were in New York, but not the city where her great-great-grandmother Tina was from, but upstate New York, with rolling hills of grass and trees as far as the eye could see, and air so fresh you could smell it. Laurel had only been here once or twice as a child, since her family rarely vacationed here and would go to New York City instead, where Irene had resided.

⠀⠀The air was cool and the sky was clear, with just enough sun and cloud to keep you warm in the current thawing season. Spring was coming and today was warm enough that Laurel didn't need a coat. To her, the good weather was slightly ironic with the current situation, but it also made her feel like Irene was truly in heaven, brightening things up for all of them on Earth. But really, who knows?

⠀⠀Rolf and her finally reached the area surrounding the coffin, which sat under a large willow tree, surrounded by flowers and people clad in black. There weren't too many people, which Laurel was thankful for. She spotted her Aunt Rowena and Uncle Rigel, the former older than Rolf, and the latter younger. Rowena had no children (she liked her independence too much), while Rigel was dating around. Laurel was not fond of Rigel at all. She loved Rowena, but that's because Rowena respected her mother, whereas Rigel didn't. Long story short, Rigel was the only in-law of Luna's that didn't like her. Which Luna didn't really care about as long as he didn't bother her children; but he did.

⠀⠀So as they approached, Laurel could already sense the tension in her father, knowing that if her uncle were to act up, this funeral wouldn't go the way her grandmother would've wanted. And she had a feeling he would.

⠀⠀She gave her father's hand one last squeeze before departing from him to join her brothers by the seats set up in front of the coffin, while he went to his wife. Right before she sat down, she then realized the coffin was open. Rising again from her seat, she walked slowly towards it, her heart beating quickly, blood rushing through her veins like the water in a waterfall.