▬▬ 34. HEAVENLY

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR
━━━━ HEAVENLY ━━━━

【 CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR 】━━━━ HEAVENLY ━━━━

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I LOVE YOU, a familiar voice whispered into James' ear. The image of Laurel's angelic face flashed across his eyes. She was smiling at him, reaching out her hand for him to grab. But every time he tried to grab it, she seemed to back further and further away from him. I love you, James, she said again. There were tears streaming down her face now. Come back to me.

⠀⠀Just as he was about to grab hold of her hand, James jostled awake. The sun shone brightly on his eyes, causing him to squint. As they adjusted to the light, he took in his surroundings, realizing he was in a hospital room.
⠀⠀Everything was blurry and his head was hurting, but he could make out the seats sitting around the perimeter of the room, the two bouquets of flowers that sat near his bed, and then—oh, the mass of curly blonde hair splayed across his mattress near his knees, belonging to a sleeping woman.

⠀⠀James felt his hand wrapped in hers. Even in her sleep, her grip was strong. As his vision focused, he immediately recognized Laurel. He couldn't help but smile at her sleeping face, covered by her tangled hair. Careful not to wake her, he reached for her face, James carefully moved her hair away, fighting the urge to run his fingers along the lines of her face. She had some cuts encrusted with dried blood on her face, but for the most part, she looked unharmed. He didn't let go of her hand. The pain in his head seemed to stop.

⠀⠀As James stared at her, the last thing he remembered filled his mind: her tearful face, smiling at him, telling him to stay awake. It was hazy, her features blurring together in his memory.

⠀⠀The dream felt so real. He was sure he imagined it, but he felt like the words Laurel said were real and true. But how could they be? She was asleep, dead as a rock.

⠀⠀James' heart stirred and sighed as he watched her sleep, admiring the freckles dotting her nose. He had missed this. He wished that he hadn't taken her for granted when she was his. But now she wasn't and he would just have to bear with it, as much as it hurt him to.

⠀⠀He loved her. There was no doubt about that and never had been. He always had and always would. Maybe when she woke up he'd try to win her back. Or he could let her go.

⠀⠀Laurel stirred, opening her eyes and lifting her head up. Her blue eyes found his, still dazed with sleep. But that daze melted away as soon as she realized James was looking at her too, a gasp shaking through her. She jumped up, engulfing him in a hug.

⠀⠀"James! Oh, thank Merlin," Laurel said, holding him tightly. She was choking up. "Please never do this to me again. I was so worried."
⠀⠀"Worried?" James asked, chuckling a little as they pulled apart. He immediately felt her absence. A tear trickled down her face as she looked at him. "Oh, Rels, don't cry. Look! I'm fine."
⠀⠀"I know," Laurel replied, wiping her eyes. She looked away. "I just-I..." she trailed off, looking away from him.
⠀⠀"What?" James asked gently, searching her face. How was she so beautiful all the damn time?