▬▬ 15. STARS & NICKNAMES

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
━━━ STARS & NICKNAMES  ━━━

【 CHAPTER FIFTEEN 】━━━ STARS & NICKNAMES  ━━━

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

EVAN PLACED AN EMPTY butterbeer bottle on the table sitting in the middle of the six of them, a small smirk on his face. This game could either turn out in the four of them's favor, or it would result in boredom and nothing from what they wanted. He eyed Asher, Callen, and Dom, in which they all nodded slightly, the remaining two taking no notice, immersed in the voices of their minds.

⠀⠀Laurel and James were sitting nowhere near each other, but rather on opposite sides of the table, not looking at each other. James couldn't face it. They had kissed. Kissed. He couldn't wrap his head around everything that had happened. Why'd she break off? Everything was going fine. Everything was going perfect. James knew she liked him, since she had just shown it yesterday, but even as he threw a wary glance her way, she didn't look at him.

⠀⠀Laurel couldn't look at him. She didn't know what overcame her. It was like seeing Liam's face in the lids of her eyes, along with the memories of what he had done, just as James and her were about to continue kissing that completely drew her back. And she didn't know why. The blonde couldn't confront the disappointment on James' face; she even noticed it as she ran off before they could continue, resulting to three hours of sitting on her bed, trying not to scream. Why couldn't she ever get her love life together and perfect the way she had always wanted it? Why couldn't her past relationships stay in the past and not affect her future relationships? Why couldn't she get over the wanker that cheated on her? She refused to go to dinner; Callen and Dominique questioned her profusely, but she couldn't speak, she couldn't talk about it. She was ashamed.

⠀⠀"You should just talk to him," Callen had said when the three of them were getting ready to sleep.
⠀⠀"It's not that easy," Laurel said calmly, already in bed. "I wish it were that easy, Callen."
⠀⠀"You see, it is that easy," Dominique refuted. "It's not like he's going to smack you when he sees you."
⠀⠀"He'll look it though," Laurel replied. "I don't think he'll even want to talk to me."
⠀⠀"So you're just going to pretend the problem isn't there until it becomes something you can't control?" Callen reasoned. Laurel didn't respond.
⠀⠀"Either way," Dominique said, placing her book on her nightstand, "James isn't the type to let problems prolong themselves. He's going to talk to you about it at some point."
⠀⠀"Thanks for the reassurance," Laurel said sarcastically. "So you're saying I should just wait."
⠀⠀"That's how it works with him," Dominique said, shrugging. And with that, they all went to sleep, turning the lights off without another word.

⠀⠀

⠀⠀After it all, James had slowly migrated from the library back to his room, where he stayed in the shower for a good hour, which had Evan and Asher convinced he was trying to drown himself. It was then that they found out what happened and were a bit mad at Laurel. He had never felt so sorry for himself. Everything was going perfect.