▬▬ 12. DANCING WITH AN ANGEL

CHAPTER TWELVE
━━ DANCING WITH AN ANGEL ━━

【 CHAPTER TWELVE 】━━ DANCING WITH AN ANGEL ━━

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

OVER THE NEXT TWO days, Laurel had been contemplating over how different the situation would've been if they had actually kissed. She, of course, told no one about this little thing between them, not even her friends. It was her little secret with James, and this one wasn't going to get out. Lily would probably tease James about it, but she wouldn't do it in public. Laurel knew that. With their last name, they were better off keeping their mouths shut.

⠀⠀She sat in her bed, flipping through the detailed drawings of Asher's gift of leather-bound handmade Herbology books, wishing they were in color. It was a difficult read, but it was enlightening. She loved it so much.

⠀⠀As interesting as Asher's books were, Laurel couldn't focus. Her eyes kept wandering to the crinkled piece of paper that sat on her desk, the piece of paper she had been reading over and over again for the past two days. She was still in slight denial that James had written about her with such eloquence and sophistication. She didn't think he was capable of that, since he wasn't so great with Herbology terms or essays. Laurel found it quite odd that it was suddenly so difficult for her not to think about James Potter.

⠀⠀

⠀⠀
⠀⠀Girls at Hogwarts always swooned over him. He was handsome, attractive, and the son of a war hero — who, not surprisingly, was more of a celebrity than that. Laurel could agree with them on most parts, but she didn't think out of all those girls, James would've chosen her. It was like choosing the rose with the most thorns from the bush; she was so scared she'd hurt him.

⠀⠀There came a soft knock on her door, breaking her from her thoughts, revealing her mother's grey eyes and messy blonde bun with her wand stuck through, with two boxes in her hands. She was wearing brightly colored wizard robes, which looked like patches of other fabrics threaded together, a pair of radish earrings hanging from her ears, her hands splattered in paint.

⠀⠀"Mum?" Laurel asked as her mother entered the rooms, plopping down on her bed with the two boxes. "What's the matter?"

⠀⠀"Your favorite teacher, Professor Longbottom sent a present to you," Luna said simply, waving one box wrapped in dancing snowmen wrapping paper. "Sweet of him, isn't it?"

⠀⠀Laurel just nodded, grabbing ahold of Professor Neville's box, which had 'DO NOT SHAKE' written on the top, in big letters. Luna placed the small square box in front of her daughter, her body language giving off a slightly reluctant aura. Laurel wondered why.