▬▬ 30. NEW YORK

CHAPTER THIRTY
━━━━ NEW YORK ━━━━

【 CHAPTER THIRTY 】━━━━ NEW YORK ━━━━

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

JAMES WOKE UP IN his bed, the sunlight directly hitting his eyes. With a quick wave of his wand he closed the curtains, letting his head fall back on the pillow for just another five minutes.

⠀⠀He suddenly shot awake as a loud car honked outside his window, looking at the time. Fuck. He was going to be late if he didn't catch his normal bus.

⠀⠀James quickly rolled out of bed, rushing to the bathroom, brushing his teeth and washing his face. With a quick wave of his wand, all his case files flew inside of his bag while he changed into his white collared button-up, a pair of black pants, a black tie, blue wizard robes, and of course, his glasses.

⠀⠀Today was March 1st. If Laurel got his messages, she would be here today. Or at least, he hoped she would.
⠀⠀He checked himself twice in the mirror (more than he usually did), before grabbing his bag and heading out the door, taking his breakfast along with him. For whatever reason his coworkers did not understand, he hopped on the bus to get to work. Perhaps he just enjoyed listening to and watching New Yorkers' antics. But they barely paid any attention to him. Plus, riding the bus didn't ruin his hair the way Apparition did.

⠀⠀He felt somewhat nervous yet excited, but also worried about today as he chewed on his bagel. He was nervous because he hadn't seen Laurel in two years and the way he left things in London...he was a bit scared at how she'd react to seeing him. He was excited to see her, but he was worried she would just blow him off.

⠀⠀As the bus drove quickly through the roads, passing by people whose lives were probably vastly different from James', he wondered how his friends and family were at home. Home. As much as he loved New York City, it would never be home for him. He had left everything that he considered home in London. Her.

⠀⠀He had come to New York on an undercover case, following a British wizard gang that migrated to America in hopes to escape the British Aurors. And since James was the best and also caused too much trouble, his supervisor in England, Tien, had no problem sending him to help the MACUSA end this problem. He was only supposed to be gone for six months, but six months turned into a year, and a year turned into two.

⠀⠀He always asked Tien how things were at home. James just missed England. He remembered the last phone call with Howard that led him to request Laurel's help. As the bus stopped at a red light, he replayed the last phone call he had with Tien.

⠀⠀"You mean with Scamander?" Tien asked, his voice raspy and deep from years of smoking cigars, his Chinese accent heavier over the phone. James could hear him smirking through the phone.
⠀⠀"Well, with everyone. How is my family? You won't let me talk to them so don't judge me," James said indignantly.
⠀⠀"I am not judging," Tien replied. "Also you are starting to sound more and more American with every phone call." He chuckled.
⠀⠀"You're wasting my time here." James tapped annoyedly on his desk with a pen.
⠀⠀"Fine, fine. Your family is perfectly fine. Nothing can harm Harry Potter, eh?"
⠀⠀James rolled his eyes a little. He would never get away from his last name. It wasn't as bad here, but they knew.