▬▬ 24. COURTROOM NINE

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
━━ COURTROOM NINE ━━

【 CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR 】━━ COURTROOM NINE ━━

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

JAMES HAD TO WAIT three weeks before the trial would be administered. For the time being, since he was a suspect, he remained under house arrest, with at least three Aurors surrounding the house at all times. Harry couldn't do anything about it. Both him and Ginny had contacted their representative, despite wizards never having representatives in trials. Their representative was none other than his godmother and aunt, Hermione Granger. She had almost never lost a case, but none were as tough as this one.

⠀⠀In truth, this terrified him. He was going to trial for something he didn't do. Hermione said there was a chance they would name him innocent because he was Harry Potter's son, but she knew he didn't want to be named innocent for his name. Hermione decided to leave out the part that something had happened to James instead of Mara (James still struggled with telling his parents what had actually happened). But James wanted Mara to pay. This dark part of him wanted her dead.

⠀⠀All the evidence was pointing against him. His anxiety was at skyrocketing levels. Nights would pass where he wouldn't get any sleep and if he did, it was never consistent for he woke from nightmares. It would always be the same one. The same replaying of the night at the Astronomy Tower. His mother would rush into his room and soothe him until he could finally breathe again.

⠀⠀He spent most of the first week in bed, barely eating, mostly writing. His parents had a couple of Healers come to see him, but they were of no use. His journal was covered in his nearly illegible scribbles, ranging from poetry to prose to plain text to simply one word written over and over again. But he could never recount word for word what had happened on paper, yet at the same time, he knew he could. James had repressed every thing about that night to the back room of his mind, locking it, despite how loud it was banging on the door to be let out.

⠀⠀He wrote very short letters to his friends. He was dying to tell them, yet he didn't know how. The memory left him speechless. How on earth was he going to testify in a week?

⠀⠀Evan notified him that they (the five of them) were all going to fight for him. The school was up in flames over the incident and James realized then how smart it was for his parents to take him out of there.
⠀⠀Laurel barely wrote to him. But according to Asher, it was because she was busy making a case for him. She had told them what she suspected to have happened and somehow, she got it right.

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀She says she's making a case for you. You should see her. I've never seen her so angry, so stubborn, so determined. I always thought of her as this little fairy that belonged more in the Forbidden Forest than Hogwarts itself, but this has changed my opinion on that.
⠀⠀Laurel says she thinks, if I'm putting this as gently as possible, you were touched inappropriately. I don't know if she's right, but I do know you're struggling with putting it into words and you never struggle with putting anything into words. You're a poet. I'm hoping that helps you with your trial. Whatever happens, just know that the five of us are by your side for life. You're stuck with us, Jamesy-kins.