▬▬ 20. DRUNK & WILD

CHAPTER TWENTY
━━━ DRUNK & WILD  ━━━

【 CHAPTER TWENTY 】━━━ DRUNK & WILD  ━━━

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

IT WAS THE NIGHT before the Scamander children were to return to Hogwarts. All of Laurel's things were already packed and she was just getting ready for bed when her father knocked on her doorway.

⠀⠀"Oh, hello, Dad," she said, putting her hairbrush down. "Aren't you supposed to be sleeping? Work is starting again tomorrow, right?"
⠀⠀"Yes, but I just wanted to say good night to my lovely daughter," Rolf said, walking over and kissing Laurel on the forehead. "All packed?"
⠀⠀"Yeah. I finished before dinner," she replied, pointing at her closed suitcase on the floor next to her bed.
⠀⠀"Yeah, I should've realized," Rolf chuckled. "You're a much more productive packer than your brothers."
⠀⠀Laurel chuckled, shrugging. "I get that from you."
⠀⠀Rolf smiled wistfully, moving into the room as his daughter got into bed. He sat down on the edge of her bed, pushing the wisps of blonde hair from her face.

⠀⠀"Sometimes you're still that newborn baby to me, you know?" he said, chuckling a little, ruffling her hair. "But my little girl is growing up, and falling in love."
⠀⠀Laurel scoffed as her father teased her. "I wouldn't say falling in love, Dad. More like, rising into it."
⠀⠀Rolf grinned. "And I raised a wonderful young lady who has a mind of her own. You definitely get that from your mother."
⠀⠀Laurel just smiled.

⠀⠀"He's good, you know — James," Rolf said, his wistful smile back. "Ginny Weasley whipped him into shape, didn't she?"
⠀⠀Laurel laughed. "Harry Potter's not half as bad of a father as you'd think," closing her last bag for tomorrow's return to school. "You know, I would still like him whether you approved of him or not. But I am glad you do."
⠀⠀Rolf smiled. "Again, another aspect of having a mind of your own. Your father's opinion no longer matters."
⠀⠀"It does," the blonde retorted. She smirked. "Just not as much as Mum's."
⠀⠀Rolf cocked his eyebrow and shook his head at what he considered nonsense of hers. They stayed in euphoric silence for awhile, just enjoying each other's company.

⠀⠀"Dad," she asked. He looked up. "When did you know you liked Mum?"
⠀⠀Rolf smiled. And it wasn't his usual fatherly smile. It was almost a boyish smile that looked oddly placed on his stubble-covered face, his complexion turning a little pink, his eyes melting as he thought of a response. It was like his heart was exploding and he wasn't trying to control it. Laurel rarely ever saw her father like this.
⠀⠀"I guess, it was like—" he stuttered to find the words (their family, after all, did not come from a bloodline of wordsmiths). "I wanted to make her happy. I didn't want to be the sole reason she was happy, I wanted my actions for her to make her happy. She didn't need me — your mother rarely relies on other humans — but I guess I wanted to be her constant in her life — her, her...anchor when she did need to rely on another human, I suppose. She almost lost everything, you know?"
⠀⠀Laurel just smiled and nodded. Rolf smiled back, reaching over to ruffle her hair again, bending down to kiss her on the forehead good night.