▬▬ 17. LOVE & LOSS

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
━━━ LOVE & LOSS ━━━

【 CHAPTER SEVENTEEN 】━━━ LOVE & LOSS ━━━

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

HOME HAD NEVER LOOKED quite so gloomy. Laurel had already been home for a few days and the silence between everyone was slowly beginning to suffocate her. Occassionakly, she spoke with her family, but generally, the house was too quite for her. She didn't know how Lysander and her mother were doing it, but they were the only ones making sure the rest of the family wasn't totally falling apart.

⠀⠀Especially her father.

⠀⠀Rolf hadn't come to take the three of them home, and when they had reached home, he was sitting glumly on the couch, smiling wryly at them when they walked through the front door. He stood up to greet them, only to find all three of his beloved children to wrap their arms around him in solace and love. Luna stood a distance away, smiling with relief at the group. They were all home and they were all going to be alright. Even her husband caught on to her relieved expression, catching her eye and smiling warmly back at her. For a moment there, Rolf felt a little bit better, a familiar warmth spreading through him that he hadn't felt in awhile. At that very moment, it seemed as though one important part of his life was still stable; he rededicated himself to the vow of always loving his children and his wife, no matter what.

⠀⠀That's what his mother taught him from a young age anyway.

⠀⠀Laurel knew her father was getting better because she and her brothers were home, but it still hurt to know that her grandmother was...dead. She was so happy to see her father, to see that even though he was still hurting, her mother's untiring love and nurturing had done Rolf well. He didn't look the best; his dark circles more prominent than usual, his usual brushed back blonde ponytail an undone mess, face sunken and unshaven. He also seemed to have grown an extra few grey hairs.

⠀⠀Laurel pulled back from the hug, taking her father's hands and squeezing them as a silent message that she loved him and that she'd be there for him whenever. She wasn't strong, she wanted to be, but to him, she was stronger and she wanted to make sure that now she was there for her father, like all those times he had been there for her.

⠀⠀With that, she and her brothers took their bags and headed up the stairs, all departing to their own respective rooms. She wanted to see what her friends had packed for her in her bag, since she didn't take the train home as she had originally thought she would. She just Floo-ed the way home with her mother and brothers.

⠀⠀She entered her room, smiling a little as she found solace in the place she had grown up in. Her room was a calm shade of yellow that was closer to ivory than it was yellow, the ceiling covered in a galaxy painting her mother had done before she was born. It wasn't the biggest room, but it was perfect for Laurel and she was content where she was.