▬▬ 31. DÉJÀ VU

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
━━━━ DÉJÀ VU  ━━━━

【 CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE 】━━━━ DÉJÀ VU  ━━━━

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

JAMES BURST THROUGH the revolving doors. "Laurel!"
⠀⠀The blonde let out a scream, jumping back, a hand over her chest. "Fuck!" Her blue eyes met his, glancing up and down at him. "James?"
⠀⠀"Yeah, it's me," James breathed, like a sigh of relief. They stood apart, Laurel looking at him in disbelief. Part of her wanted to hug him, but the other part wanted to punch him. In two years, he had barely changed. He was just standing there, looking at her, with his stupid glasses, his stupid messy black hair, and his stupid, stupid smile.

⠀⠀Everything seemed to come rushing over her like a wave, her initial shock turning into anger.

⠀⠀"Fuck you!" Laurel yelled, James' grin immediately falling off his face as she shoved him. "You-you...how could you?! You know you were an absolute...dickhead—" she shoved him again— "for leaving like that! If you think for one bloody second that some little letter does it for an apology then you couldn't be more wrong!"—she was really close to his face now— "How could you just up and leave like that? How could you leave us?!" How could you leave me?

⠀⠀Neither of them noticed the passerby's staring at them. Laurel's chest heaved as she glared at him, breathless, her blue eyes burning, her nostrils flaring. James simply stared back, wide-eyed, a little intimidated. At the same time, he was just a little turned on.

⠀⠀Her voice was quiet now. James didn't know if this was scarier. "Your letter was a shitty way of re-entering our lives." She pulled back from him, looking away, trying to hide her eyes that were swimming in pain, the fire diffused. Laurel turned to look at him again. "Do you have any idea how much we missed you, James?" Her voice almost broke at his name and he didn't miss it.

⠀⠀"Trust me," James said quietly, "I did."
⠀⠀They didn't say anything for a minute, the loud honks, people, and cars passing by filling the silence that kept them one foot apart.
⠀⠀"That's it?" Laurel asked in disbelief. "That's all you have to say for yourself?"
⠀⠀James blinked, thinking of how to respond. "Why don't we get some food? I'll explain anything over lunch," he suggested. Laurel hesitated for a moment, staring at him suspiciously.
⠀⠀"Fine," Laurel grumbled, grabbing a hold of her trunk. "Where to?"
⠀⠀"A classic American diner," James said, a small smile creeping across his face. At least here he could take her out for food without anyone following them and writing about them on the Prophet's next issue.
⠀⠀Laurel didn't respond, strategically turning her trunk into a smaller size to fit in her coat pocket with a quick flick of her wand, making sure none of the Muggles saw. Then she nodded to James to lead the way, following him side-by-side without making conversation.

⠀⠀The diner was only about a ten-minute walk away from the Woolworth Building. It was a silver restaurant with a bright red neon-light sign displaying its name in the front and a checkered black and white floor. All the booths were made up of a table between red leather cushioned seats, Laurel and James sliding into one as the waiter took their drinks. The restaurant was mostly empty, with a couple of people scattered throughout the place, but then again, it was late in the day for lunch.