▬▬ 33. EVER AGAIN

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE
━━━━ EVER AGAIN ━━━━

【 CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE 】━━━━ EVER AGAIN ━━━━

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

JAMES AND LAUREL found themselves back in the Woolworth Building, searching through the entire MACUSA for Howard. At first, Laurel couldn't wrap her mind around the fact that it was Howard, but she suddenly remembered where she had seen the ring from. It was his wedding band, but now...perhaps it wasn't.

⠀⠀Laurel was following James with a slight huff, since he was going so fast, checking every room in the building. "James—James! Stop!" She yanked his arm and pulled him to a stop. He looked at her, that frenzy still in his eyes, his brows furrowed.
⠀⠀"What?"
⠀⠀"What if he isn't here?" she said. "What if he's hiding because he knows you've figured it out?"
⠀⠀James thought about it for a second. "You're right. Let's go to his house."
⠀⠀"Can we search the house as well?" Laurel asked. "I bet he has things there."
⠀⠀"Yeah, I'll ask for a warrant and we'll take a few others with us," James agreed. The look in his eyes hadn't changed. "Meet me downstairs in ten with our stuff?"
⠀⠀Laurel nodded, parting with him. She headed back to their main department and gathered her belongings as well as his. James practically ran to get a search warrant from the Chief Warlock. He was exhausted, but the rush of adrenaline seemed to push him through.

⠀⠀They met in ten minutes, along with a couple of other Aurors, James appearing with the search warrant and Howard's address. He gave it to the other Aurors, all of whom Disapparated on special circumstances right from the Woolworth Building. James, as if tradition, held out a hand for Laurel to take, Disapparating them both to a quiet house in Long Island, in a clean and quiet suburban neighborhood.

⠀⠀Perhaps being the head of the Auror department paid well, since the house had a rather sizable front lawn with well-kept flowers and plants lined across the front. The house was large, with colonial-style columns across the front, windows placed evenly around the house with fake panels next to them. Laurel almost found it too Muggle for a wizard family, but who was she to judge?

⠀⠀They all headed up the steps, knocking on the blue door, pressing the doorbell a couple of times. Urgency seemed to be the word of the day today. An elder lady with her grey hair tied back in a tight bun answered the door. She was wearing housekeeping clothes, smiling at them.

⠀⠀"Hello—oh! My. Aurors? What's going on?" she asked, noticing the group of intimidating looking wizards.
⠀⠀"Yes, ma'am," James said, pulling out the warrant. "Unfortunately, Mister Edric Howard is suspected of murdering 23 individuals in the last two years by means of toxic potions. We are here to search the house, by means of this warrant."
⠀⠀"Oh...okay...very well," the lady said, nodding grimly. "Mister Howard would never do such a thing! Madam Howard? Aurors are here!" She called for her mistress. Letting them in, Laurel noticed a young girl whizzing around on a small broom.