▬▬ 14. BAFFLE ME

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
━━━ BAFFLE ME ━━━

【 CHAPTER FOURTEEN 】━━━ BAFFLE ME ━━━

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

WEEKS AFTER THE broom ride in the rain, Laurel found herself in the Great Hall, not only tutoring Lavanya, but James as well. Castor had come down with a fever, and Callen cancelled his tutoring session for him, leaving time for James to try and learn first-year Herbology terms. Or at least what he liked to call a 'refresher course'.

⠀⠀And Lavanya was not having it.

⠀⠀"You say you are a good teacher, but you do not know a thing about Herbology," Lavanya scolded, her Indian accent heavier than usual as she was frustrated. "You should be glad Castor is good at this subject, Potter."

⠀⠀James just stuck out his tongue childishly at her, resuming to looking at the more complicated notes Laurel had written out to keep him occupied as she taught Lavanya. Lavanya rolled her eyes at James, returning to her textbook where Laurel had been teaching from.

⠀⠀After a short quiz that Laurel gave Lavanya, the small Indian girl left the Great Hall smiling from ear to ear when she realized she had done better on this quiz than James had by one point. She skipped out of the Great Hall, making her way to the hospital wing to visit her sick friend, Castor.

⠀⠀Laurel started packing her belongings, smiling slightly in amusement at James' hurt behavior. "Look at you, holding your ego on your head like a crown. It's bound to fall off at some point."

⠀⠀"Yeah, but I didn't think it would fall off with a first-year Herbology vocabulary quiz," he grumbled, setting his quiz paper on fire with a quick flick of his wand. Laurel winced.

⠀⠀"You could've studied with that, you know," she said, swinging her bag over her shoulder, getting up to leave for the Gryffindor Tower.

⠀⠀"Not in the mood, Rels," James said bluntly, sulking. He followed Laurel, who paid his sudden change in mood no mind, out of the Great Hall, glaring at everyone who looked at them.

⠀⠀"Would you like me to tutor you some more after I complete all of my homework later?" Laurel asked out of pity, his mood starting to make its way through her limited attention. She stopped in front of the house portrait, waiting for his response.

⠀⠀"Fine," he said haughtily, causing her to roll his eyes at his natural egoistic male disposition. He said no more, shouting the password at the Fat Lady, who scolded him to no avail, for he did not heed a single word, slightly stomping into the Gryffindor Tower, leaving Laurel to trail behind him.

⠀⠀"I'll meet you here after dinner!" she called desperately after his quickly parting figure, which was already halfway up the steps to the boys' dormitory. All she got for a response was a loud grunt of acknowledgement, causing her to roll her eyes yet again, turning to go to her dormitory to finish up her homework with one thought on her mind.