▬▬ 22. THE ASTRONOMY TOWER

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
━━ THE ASTRONOMY TOWER ━━

【 CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO 】━━ THE ASTRONOMY TOWER ━━

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

[ TW WARNING: SEXUAL ASSAULT IN THIS CHAPTER ]

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

IT WAS FINALLY SPRING, the air filling with the smells of fresh flowers, the sun setting later than it used to. People were getting sneezy and sleazy, but Laurel remained as she always did: bright and colorful. If anything, she was putting on a mask to remain bright and colorful.
⠀⠀She didn't care. She didn't care. She didn't care.

⠀⠀If friendships could break up, Laurel and James were broken up (except nobody else really considered it just merely a friendship). It had been a month since they had last spoken to each other in the grass, but both were too stubborn to talk to each other, despite their friends' desperate requests. The two were getting oddly good at avoiding each other, and every time their friends tried to get them to make up, they made up excuses.

⠀⠀"You're really not going to talk to her?" Evan asked.
⠀⠀"Her?" James asked confusedly as they sat down at the library table, Asher alongside them. Then it registered who they were talking about. "Oh. You mean her."
⠀⠀"Yeah."
⠀⠀"Hopefully not soon," James said, curtly, picking up his quill to write.
⠀⠀"Why?" Asher asked.
⠀⠀He put his quill down, letting out a sigh, looking at the both of them who were sitting across from him. "Look. I've told you two already. Talking to her wouldn't be healthy for me."
⠀⠀"Yeah, but you didn't tell us how," Asher said, his voice monotone.
⠀⠀James grunted, hesitating for a second. He heaved a sigh. "Because I don't want to fall in love with her even more," he finally said. He waved his hand dismissively. "I'll be over it."
⠀⠀"You said that a month ago, James," Evan said gently.
⠀⠀James just threw him a glare, but Evan continued his stubborn look at his best friend. "You're not over her and you fucking know it."
⠀⠀"I don't want to talk about this."
⠀⠀"We're just trying to help," Asher insisted.
⠀⠀"Fuck off."
⠀⠀"Bloody hell, James, can't we just help—"
⠀⠀James smacked the table, glaring at them, his eyes ferocious. "I. Said. Fuck. Off!"
⠀⠀He slammed his fist on the table, getting up this time, grabbing his things, stuffing them in his bag. "For fuck's sake, I just wanted to study. But you two can't seem to stop fucking talking about her, so maybe you should talk to her. Consider it. I'm going to remove myself from the situation before I smack the both of you so fucking hard your mothers won't even recognize you."

⠀⠀He threw them both a glare again, storming out of the library, everyone watching as the Unofficial Prince of Hogwarts walked away from the tantrum he just threw. Evan and Asher looked at each other, inhaling and exhaling loudly, turning to their textbooks and essays to get their minds off their best friend's sudden explosion.