▬▬ 32. NOT OVER YOU

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
━━━ NOT OVER YOU ━━━

【 CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO 】━━━ NOT OVER YOU ━━━

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"AVANI?! OH MY MERLIN," James rushed forward, kneeling next to Avani as she reached for him. He grabbed her face, trying to get her eyes to focus on him. "She's still breathing." Her body was covered in cuts and bruises. "Laurel, do something!"

⠀⠀Laurel stood there still frozen. She wanted to move, to do something but she couldn't think. Why was she here? Why was Avani of all people foaming at the mouth? Which was purple for that matter?

⠀⠀"LAUREL!" James bellowed as Avani began tremble, her whole body going into a seizure. His cry for help shocked Laurel enough into action, pulling her tiny trunk out of her pocket, turning it into its normal size quickly. She flung it open, digging around before giving up.

⠀⠀"Accio Bezoar!" she exclaimed. A small box flew out of the trunk and into her hands. She ripped it open, grabbed the stone out, and ran towards Avani. She pushed James out of the way. "Hold her down for me, James."
⠀⠀He did as he was told, watching Laurel open Avani's mouth, shoving the bezoar down her throat. She prayed that it would work, waiting for Avani to stop shaking.
⠀⠀In a few seconds, Avani went still. Laurel placed her fingers on her neck, hoping that there was a heartbeat. She couldn't die. As soon as she felt the drumming of Avani's life at her fingertips, Laurel let out a sigh of relief.

⠀⠀Just then, Avani coughed, gasping for air, reaching out for someone. James helped her sit up as Laurel grabbed her hand.
⠀⠀"It's James and Laurel. You're okay!" she said, trying to comfort Avani. 
⠀⠀"I-I can't see," Avani croaked out. "Why can't I see? Where are we? I can't see anything. Why can't I see anything?"
⠀⠀"You can't see us?" Laurel asked, worry written all over his face.
⠀⠀"No," Avani replied, panicking. "A-All I can see is blackness. It's all dark...And nothing else. Why is it so dark? Why can't I see?"
⠀⠀"Avani," James said, calmly, "what's the last thing you remember?"
⠀⠀"I-I was...I think...I was leaving work and walking somewhere so the No-Maj's wouldn't see me Disapparate. And then...And then someone grabbed me and Stupefied me. And then I woke up and I was here...He sounded so familiar but he blindfolded me and tied me up...and kept asking me about the MACUSA." She began to sob uncontrollably.
⠀⠀"What kind of things?" James asked.
⠀⠀"Like...like things about the President and our Secret Service agents. He-he asked about your case too," Avani stumbled over her words. Her eyes were open but they weren't staring at Laurel or James. "I-I couldn't tell him anything because I don't really know about that stuff. He started to kick me and beat me up and used the Cruciatus Curse...I...I kept screaming for help but no one could hear...I thought I was going to die. I really did...He used Legilimency on me and my Occlumency wasn't strong enough to fight him off...and when he couldn't find anything he fed me some potion."
⠀⠀"Do you remember what it tasted like?" Laurel asked.
⠀⠀"Bad. Bitter. Like...like rotten tomatoes," Avani answered. "It-it made my entire body burn...My head was on fire and I blacked out and I tried opening my eyes but I can't see. For fuck's sake, why can't I see?!"
⠀⠀Laurel looked at James, both concerned, aware that the person they were looking for had almost killed Avani.
⠀⠀"Look, we're going to get you out of here," James said, calmly. "We're going to go by Floo and we're going to get you to St. Onodel's. Can you walk?"
⠀⠀Avani shook her head as she sat up, feeling around the couch. Laurel noticed her broken leg, quickly fixing it with a spell. "Brackium Emendo!" There was a loud crack and Avani screamed in pain, but the bone was back in place.