Handcuffed to Zander

Chapter 18: "Screw you Zander!"

Song chapter: Dangerous Women by Ariana Grande

Aria Evans

I faced the television, not paying attention at all. My thoughts were all stuck on the events that happened minutes ago in Zander's bedroom.

My hand gripped the other tightly as my foot lightly tapped on the floor, I was indeed a nervous wreck.

I thanked Zoey in my head for being the barrier that separated me from Zander. She sat comfortingly in the middle between us, not bothering to notice the thick air in the room, too engrossed in her show.

I haven't dared to glance at the boy a few feet away from me, too scared to see any reaction out of him.

He probably regretted the whole thing.

I for one, had no idea what to think or feel. I was so deeply confused that I just played the kiss in my mind over and over again, irritated to see that it was more confusing each time.

I stopped my thoughts and shifted in my seat, fishing out something from my back pocket that's been poking my butt for a while now, it was utterly annoying.

As I grabbed the hard object, I tensed up, it was the key I stole back at Dylan's house. I guess I forgot to put it back.

I briefly closed my eyes as more irritation bubbled inside of me.

Can't I do anything right?

At that moment the door bell rang and I quickly sprung up, finding a quick excuse to get out of the room for a bit.

I tried to leave a while ago but Zoey was one stubborn little girl, especially when she brought up the fact that I didn't come to watch the show with her last time.

"I'll get it!"

My mumble was low and fast as I exited the living room. It might of been weird to answer the door when it wasn't my house but I didn't really care at the moment. I needed some air.

I sprung open the door to find a police officer. My eyes widened and I scolded myself for being the one to open the door.

"After noon ma'am, we got a complaint of a baby crying in a car on your driveway."

My eyes bugged out as I cursed the day Zander was born. We forgot about the baby!

I screamed Zander's name, hearing urgent footsteps after it. My eyes focused on his concerned features, finally finding bravery to look at him.

He then noticed the officer, his eyes widening lightly. He quickly put his handcuffed hand behind his back, I guess we both had the same thought, since I also had mine behind my back.

"What's wrong?"

I opened my mouth but couldn't find the strength to fish out any words. I didn't want to talk to him, not when my mind was still trying to process everything.

"It appears that we got a complaint of a baby crying in a car on your driveway." 

I sighed in relief when the officer decided to explain.

"Oh shit."

I mentally face palmed, hearing Zander curse. The officer didn't look amused when I tried to cover it up with a smile.

To answer my own question, no. I can't do anything right. Not when I got Zander Bue in my life.

It took us literally twenty minutes to explain to the police officer that the baby was only a project that was in fact just plastic.

He let us off with a "warning", telling us to be more careful next time. I mean come on, did he not understand that it was just a plastic doll?

"Next time please don't leave the baby locked in the car."

Zander and I were both outside his front door, minuets after the police officer left. I was getting ready to head out after I said my goodbye to Zoey, who only protested a little bit before I had to agree to watch My Little Pony again with her some other time.

The awkwardness that surrounded us was eating me alive so I decided to do what I did best. Blame it all on Zander.

"Well sorry if I forgot when I was on the brink of death."

A small smile made it's way across my face, hearing his sassy comeback.

"Oh please, it was just a nosebleed."

"Caused by you!"

I walked down the steps, facing him after climbing down the last one. Relief washing over me when I saw his smile.

I guess the kiss was forgotten.

"You didn't have to listen."

He puckered his lips in thought, looking like an adorable young Zander. I've seen too many baby pictures around the house to know that he does that a lot.

"That's true. Nobody listens to Aria Evans."

I laughed, making my way down his drive way, not before screaming.

"Screw you Zander!"

I started to prepare myself for the short walk to my house, grateful that we didn't live that far from eachother.

For a girl who didn't own a car, I sure hated walking.

"Aria!"

My stomach felt warm and a happy sensation passed through me when he said my name.

What is going on with me ?

I turned around, facing a red cheeked Zander. I bit my lip, finding his nervousness odd.

"Yeah?"

After a while of him just staring, he waved me off and smirked.

"Nothing, just see you at school tomorrow."

I nodded, smiling as I kept walking.

I couldn't help thinking that Zander seemed like he wanted to tell me more.