Handcuffed to Zander

Chapter 35: Broken Down Tree

Song Chapter: Heart Out by The 1975

Aria Evans

My footsteps were urgent as I got out of Dylan's car.

We had sneakily escaped out of school as he drove me to Zander's house, my need to see him at a great depth.

The car ride was silent, my mind too jumbled up to even form words. My only priority at the moment was Zander and how pathetic I felt about it was huge.

The yellow brick house almost made me cry out as I realized how much I missed it and how much I missed him. Without even a second thought, I opened the door and thanked God that it was unlocked.

Silence welcomed me and my heart dropped. Silence was never good.

Don't think like that Aria it was Thursday, this was expected everybody has things to do.

Walking through the hall leading towards Zander's bedroom, I held my breath. I didn't know what to expect and I was honestly terrified.

Building enough courage, I opened the door with a push. Walking in, I was met with a slept in bed and an empty room.

He wasn't here.

Where the heck was he? I need to find him.

Walking back over to Dylan, I faced him and asked him the one thing that's been racing in my mind for the past two weeks.

"How do you guys even know each other? For all I know, Zander hates you."

I heard him take in a breath as his hand latched on to the back of his neck, a frown forming upon his face.

"We're were all friends Aria. The twins, Chuck, Zander and I, we were all friends. We might of not sat together in lunch but we did hang out."

Well there goes another example of my oblivion, it just goes to show that my attention span needs a little improvement.

I should of known the night that Chuck joined us for our movie night, I was just too caught up with the happenings of that night, with Zander.

Oh god Zander.

"What changed then?"

My gaze on him never left, as he turned to look out the window near us before turning to look back at me.

"That night you guys were handcuffed together Mia called me, she was upset about something and she needed me, it was right after we all took that shot."

At the mention of the librarian's assistant my frown deepened, they've been fooling around even before everything happened. How did I not know this?