Chapter 28: Mutual Release and Lights On

Harry's POV

It takes me a moment to realise she's not making me sleep on the couch.

Oh yeah!

But first I need to get me some of those cookies.

I walk into the kitchen and grab a plate out of the cupboard and pile it up with the coloured treats.  I might need something to wash them down with so I go over to the fridge and pull out a couple of bottles of water.

I turn around and grab the plate and I'm ready to go upstairs when I spot the cookies and milk left out on the table for Santa.

Shit, lucky I saw them.

I go over and break a couple of bits off to leave some crumbs on the plate before I drink the milk down.

Nothing like room temperature milk to really hit the spot.

Satisfied that I've completed all my Santa duties, I pick up my plate of cookies and the water bottles before I turn the last light off and run up those stairs.

I start to walk down to Beth's bedroom when it hits me.

I'm going into her bedroom.

I'm staying the night in there.

Fuck, why am I suddenly so nervous.

I think the alcohol has finally worn off.

I walk into the bedroom and see that Beth has turned both the lamps on in the room.

"Got enough cookies there?" she smiles at me.

Don't make fun of my cookies woman.

"Yeah, I even remembered to grab the ones for Santa," I whisper and tap my nose.

"That would explain your milk moustache," she points out.

Oh fuck.

That's embarrassing.

I wipe the milk off my face quickly.

She's standing in the middle of the room and I immediately wonder if she's used to sleeping on a certain side of the bed.

"Do...do you have a preference which side you sleep on?"  I ask her.

"I don't, but I'll take the left just because it's closest to the door," she suggests, "I rather the kids jump on me in the morning than you."

I honestly don't mind but it might confuse the kids somewhat so I just go with what Beth wants so I walk around to the right hand side of the bed.

Beth suddenly begins to walk over to the bedroom door and I watch as she closes it before coming back to the bed.

Okay.

"I can't sleep with lights, and Chloe likes a light on, somewhere," she explains, "I need darkness."

Interesting.

I wonder if it's always been like that for her or just since she lost her husband...

I look to where Beth is and she's looking at me quite nervously.

I know this because she's biting her bottom lip.

Maybe she doesn't feel comfortable enough to want to undress in front of me.

"Do you want me to close my eyes?" I ask, wanting to make her feel comfortable.

"No, again, it's just another first with someone who's not my husband," she explains before she cover's her face with her hands and groans, "I'm sorry Harry, I don't mean to keep bringing him up," she apologises.