Chapter 55: Dental Floss and Gummy Bears

Beth's POV

Harry just looks at me in utter confusion as he takes his phone back from me and looks down at it.

"Shit!" he mumbles.

I look away and put the ice back onto my hand.

The pain is so bad it's all I can think of right now.

I close my eyes and breathe deeply, trying to calm myself.

The bathroom feels so small all of a sudden.

I think I can hear Harry but he sounds so far away.

I struggle clumsily to stand up and walk out the bathroom and I'm aware of someone holding onto my arm.

Why is it so hard to breathe?

I'm trying to fill my lungs with air but I just can't.

I just can't.

And Harry keeps shouting at me.

Panic starts to set in as I start to cry again, my body shaking as my gulps for air become shudders.

I look down and the floor seems like it's suddenly coming closer to me.

~~~~~~

I open my eyes slowly and the first thing I'm aware of is that someone is next to me in my bed.

"Beth?" I hear Harry's worried voice, "shit you scared me sweetheart."

His hand gently touches my forehead and then my cheek.

"What...I wasn't..." I start to say, realising I hadn't put myself to bed.

"Here," Harry offers me some water and painkillers to take.

It's then the pain in my hand kicks in and everything else that came with it.

James pushing Nick.

Harry and Cate.

Harry leaving Cate's flat.

It must register on my face as Harry holds the tablets out for me.

"Take these, then I'll explain everything Beth," he says, and I hear his voice break just a little, "I promise it's not what it looks like."

I sit myself up and take the tablets, swallowing them before finishing the water.

Harry offers me a small bowl with assorted gummy bears.

"The doctor suggested you'll need some sugar, and the kids said these were your favourite," he offers a half-hearted smile.

I take the bowl and put a couple into my mouth.

"Thank you," I mumble.

I slowly chew them when I realise I don't know how long I've been up here and that kids are downstairs all alone.

"The kids..." I say, having this sudden overwhelming urge to get to them.

I start clawing at the covers to pull them off, kicking at them with my legs.

"Are okay Beth," Harry grabs me by the wrists, "they're downstairs with Gemma."

What?

"Why is she here Harry?" I ask.

Fuck I feel so disoriented and confused.

I hate this feeling of having no control.

"Love, you had a panic attack and ended up passing out," Harry explains.