Chapter 43: Flexible Gumbys and Pokey Horses

Beth's POV

Harry is bouncing the soccer ball from knee to knee before handing it to Jamie to try.  Nick and Chloe have already tried it but Nick has lost interest in it, soccer not really his thing.

Tennis is his chosen sport.

Chloe is still keen to try but I can see she knows it's Jamie's gift and that she should give Harry the time to teach him.

Even though she is the sportiest kid out of all of them and is one of those ones that can play any sport she tries.

I'm lucky if I can enter a room without walking into something.

I'm taking pictures of them all on my phone, especially Jamie and Harry and I'm not sure who's having more fun at the minute.

I'm just thrilled that Jamie is able to spend time with an older male who is willing to teach him something, especially since his dad isn't around anymore.

They've been kicking the ball to each other and now Harry is shadowing Jamie, trying to take it off him.  Jamie suddenly falls over and Harry is pulling him up onto his feet, his hand on his shoulder as he bends down to check that Jamie's okay, until he kicks the ball away, running with it and leaving Harry momentarily wondering what just happened before he realises and takes off after him.

I'm laughing at the two of them as I suddenly realise that I don't see Nick and Chloe and my heart speeds up as I look around, searching for them.

I spot them way over on the path, looking at something in the water.

I hop off the park bench and start walking over towards them until a soccer ball comes heading my way followed by two giggling boys running behind it.

Smirking, I kick the ball away, running with it towards Nick and Chloe but it's not long though before a pair of arms wrap around me and lift me into the air, swinging me around.

"Grab it Jamie!" Harry yells as Jamie bolts past me and I'm finally on the ground again.

I wobble slightly, regaining my balance as Harry chuckles at me.

"Shut up," I say as I push his arm and leave him as I jog over to where Nick and Chloe are.

Harry walks up behind me and when I look at him he has a quizzical look on his face, like he's trying to figure something out.

He opens his mouth as though he's going to say something but stops himself.

Okay.

"Look mummy!" Chloe says, "there's ducks over there and swans and look at all the fish!  You can see the bubbles...can we feed them some bread?"

"Fish don't eat bread Chloe," Nick scoffs at her.

"I was talking about the ducks Nicholas," she glares at him.

Harry and I stand there smirking at the two of them.

"I can go up to the car and get some," I offer, "if you're happy to stay with them?"

"Sure," he smiles and pulls his car keys out of his pocket and hands them to me.  I notice they have a letter 'H' hanging from it and I hold it up to him.

"Pink?" I smirk.

"It was from Gemma," he replies shrugging his shoulders.

"Nice," I giggle as I start walking across the grass to Harry's rover.

I'm halfway across when I turn back to see how Harry and the kids are getting on.

The boys are looking further down the lake, pointing at something that I can't quite see from here.  Harry and Chloe are looking at something in the water in front of them and I'm assuming it's the fish.  I watch as she reaches up and grabs hold of his hand with hers.