Chapter 91: Red Lights and Motorised Bikes

Beth's POV

I close the car door after I slide into the seat of Harry's car, clicking the seatbelt into place.

Harry starts the engine and reverses out onto the road, beginning the familiar drive to the hospital, and there's not much traffic at this time of morning so it shouldn't take us too long to get there.

Chloe is finally being discharged.

"Can't believe we got kicked out last night," Harry breaks the silence in the car.

"I know right?" I agree, "who does that?"

"Your daughter apparently," he replies.

"Pfft," I shake my head, "notice she didn't kick Niall out, just us."

"Talk about favouritism," Harry mumbles, "why did he get to stay?"

"But Harry, I'm her mother!" I reply indignantly, "her mother Harry and she kicked me out!"

"Us love," Harry reminds me, "she kicked us out."

"Surely there must be rules against that," I mutter, "we should be allowed to leave when we're ready to, not when she says so."

"Clearly not," Harry replies.

Yes.

My darling daughter decided Harry and I could leave, no, should leave and come back this morning to collect her.

However, Niall was allowed to stay.

Kicked out by my own daughter.

What can one say about that?

Harry wasn't fairing much better the poor love.

"Well she can fluff her own damn pillows when she comes home," I huff.

"I'm not piggybacking her around when she needs it," Harry mumbles and I look over at him.

"Yes you will," I poke his cheek.

"Yeah you're right," he smiles reluctantly.

We drive along in a comfortable silence thought I notice Harry's leg bouncing along, his hand that's resting on my thigh is tapping me and his bottom lip is pulled between his teeth.

I reach up and gently pull his lip out of his mouth.

"What are you thinking about Harry?" I ask him, "you're fidgeting a bit over there."

Harry lets out a small sigh in response.

"I've been thinking..." he starts.

"Well there's your problem right there," I quip, and he smiles and shakes his head at me, "I'm sorry," I say, "go on."

"Where were you planning on staying after we pick up Chloe? I mean...have you given it any thought?" he asks.

Oh.

Not really.

"Well I just assumed I'd be going back to Bridge Farm," I reply, "why? What were you thinking?"

"Move in with me," he turns to me, "I mean, I've been thinking and..."

"Harry...slow down," I say as I look ahead.

"What? I'm sorry, I'm moving too fast aren't I?" he sighs.

"Harry, slow down!" I yell a little louder.

"I just thought that we were..." he starts to explain.

"Red light!" I yell.

"Shit!" Harry curses as he hits the breaks and we manage to come to a stop just over the painted white lines on the road.