Chapter 59: Meeting Mums and Twenty Questions

Beth's POV

We pull into the driveway of the large, double storey, red bricked house.

I'd much prefer it if we keep on driving to be honest.

I stare up at the house and then at the array of flowers, bushes and shrubs in the cottage garden.

What if his mother wants to have a chat about the garden?

Oh yes that's a lovely flower over there.

That's a weed dear

I wouldn't know the bloody difference between a petunia and a pansy.

My heart beat is positively racing and I realise Harry is now watching me intently.

"Breathe love," he says, reaching for my hand a giving it a reassuring squeeze.

I smile weakly at him.

"Come on," he says as he opens his door and steps out.

Nah I'm pretty comfy here thanks.

I look into the backseat at the kids, who at the moment, are way too engrossed in their new iPad's to notice we're even here.

I wonder if I could have bribed one of them to be sick today?

My door opens and Harry holds out his hand for me to take.

I grab hold of it and he helps me out, walking me around to the front of his car and leaning us both against the bonnet.

I'm surprised he hasn't dragged me straight up to the front door.

"So this is where I grew up," he says, gesturing with his hand.

I can hear the pride and fondness for his childhood home in his voice.

"it's a lovely house," I remark, "is there much space out the back?"

"Couple of acres, I think," he says, "more gardens and a good size space to kick a soccer ball around."

"Of course," I smile, letting out a nervous breath as I look around.

Anne's POV

I hear the loud engine as Harry pulls into the driveway and it has me moving from the cupboard and over to the window from my upstairs bedroom.

Looking down at the car, there's no movement.

I watch as Harry is the first one out of his car and immediately he moves to the other side to open the door.

Usually the girl he's with is out of the car and prancing around like she owns the place.

He leans in and seems to be saying something before offering his hand to whom I assume is Beth.

And there she is.

I've seen her in the photos, but it's always different seeing someone in the flesh.

Harry points out the house, a smile on his adorable face.

Her smile is not as obvious.

Is this not good enough for her?

Is she expecting more?

She certainly doesn't look like she wants to be here, judging by the look on her face.

I can already feel myself getting my back up for my baby boy.

But I watch as Harry guides her to stand at the front of his car and it's now that I notice the deep breaths she's taking and that her hands are actually shaking.