Chapter 44: Soccer Coaches and Little Pinkies

Harry's POV

Jamie and I start by kicking the ball to each other and more often than not, the ball goes on an angle away from me.  I watch what he's doing and then realise where he's going wrong.

"Watch this Jamie!" Chloe yells as she comes running up to the ball.

Oh this will be cute; she's going to have a go.

She connects with the ball and before I can react, it lands fair on my shins with considerable force.

She gives me a sweet smirk before skipping over to where Nick is.

Well I'll be damned.

Jamie is now standing there with his arms folded, an angry look on his face.

"I can't do it Harry, it's stupid!" he huffs.

I suddenly remember that he's used to a ball that isn't even round and god knows how they bounce and kick that kind of ball. 

You'd think a round one would be a walk in the park.

"Mate, can you just try one more time for me?" I ask as I walk over to him and place the ball at his feet before positioning myself behind him.

"You're kicking with your right foot so you need to take a step to the left and make sure your left foot is next to the ball just before you kick it," I explain, "got it?"

Nodding, Jamie goes through the motions without actually kicking it and I give him the thumbs up.

I run back a few metres and wait for him to try again.

"Try to kick it in the middle!" I yell out.

He runs a few steps and connects with the ball and it's a great kick, straight at me.

He's now grinning from ear to ear as he jogs over to me.

"Shall we try bouncing it on our knee?" I suggest and we spend the next few minutes practicing.

"Let's kick it again!" Jamie says in excitement and he runs off with it so I run after him.  Moments later he falls over but I don't think it's serious thank goodness.  I offer my hand out and pull him up and check that he's okay.  Before I know it, he's kicking the ball and is off and running again.

Cheeky shit.

I take off after him as he goes a different direction and we're suddenly running towards Beth, who is watching us with great amusement, her phone in her hand as she takes some photos.

The ball reaches her and surprisingly she kicks it with ease and runs off with it away from us.

Jamie and I run after her but I suddenly notice something about the way she moves.

I could be imagining it but her left leg doesn't seem to move as fluidly as her right.

It's just not quite right.

We're right on top of her and I grab her around the waist, swinging her around in the air, both of us laughing.

"Grab it Jamie!" I yell as Jamie runs past me, stealing the ball.

I gently set Beth down on the ground but she seems a little unsteady on her feet, taking a little longer to regain her balance.

I can't help chuckling at her as she looks adorable.

Then again, a lot of what she does is adorable, maybe it's because she's smaller then me and I feel like I have to protect her.

Oh get a grip Harold.