Chapter 41: Soccer Balls and Dipping Chocolate

Beth's POV

As Harry navigates his rover towards town, I hear the boys talk quietly amongst themselves, going back and forth between pointing out things of interest to them as we drive past and just checking out Harry's 'cool' car in general.

Chloe just simply sits gazing out the window, a dreamy smile on her face as she occasionally kicks her Harry boot-covered feet up so she can admire them.

Harry turns the radio on and music plays softly in the background as we drive.

Now that I've had a chance to sit and relax a little, I'm kind of now shocked and angry at the behaviour and attitude from someone who is essentially, a complete stranger to me.

I mean, I don't know James and the suggestions he implied and the way he insulted Harry was very nasty and uncalled for, just completely unacceptable.

I'm actually quite surprised that someone as kind and as lovely as Mrs. Watkins has a son that seems to be the complete polar opposite to her.

There's obviously some sort of history between James and Harry and I find myself frowning as I wonder what it might be.

They're not close in age so I don't think it's a friendship type falling out.

Maybe it was a business issue? He was wearing an expensive suit so that could be it?

I'm so engrossed in my thoughts that when Harry puts his hand over mine and gently squeezes it, I jump a little.

"Are you okay?" he asks, "you look a bit annoyed."

Okay.

Let's just straight up ask him.

"I was just going over what happened with James, that's all," I say.

Harry's eyes narrow and his mouth sets itself into a thin line.

"Had he been there long before I arrived? Did he say anything..." he trails off, "did he touch you?"

His last question comes out quite harshly, something I've never heard from Harry before.

I shake my head in response.

"He'd hardly been there Harry I promise, just a couple of minutes maybe?" I reply.

"As long as he keeps his distance from you..." Harry trails off.

I don't say anything for a moment.

Is Harry saying that as a sign of possessiveness or as a warning?

"Harry?" I finally break the silence.

"Hmm?" he replies as he concentrates on the road ahead.

"Can I ask why you dislike him so much?" I ask.

Harry lets out a deep sigh.

"Dislike is putting it mildly," he says.

"Oh?" I reply, waiting for him to continue.

"When mum and dad split up years ago, he hounded mum a bit, wouldn't take no for an answer," Harry says, "went on for a good couple of months."

"I assume he was just as charming back then as well?" I ask.

"Absolutely," Harry lets out a cynical snort, "I think he's tried it on with just about every woman in town," Harry smirks, "I'm sure he thinks he's Britain's answer to George Clooney."

"Eww...seriously?" I ask incredulously.

"What's worse, he even tried to get a bit too friendly with Gem a few months ago," Harry goes on, "sent her flowers, showed up a couple of places when she was there, messaged her on Twitter a lot..."