Epilogue - (part-1)✔

Read the author note at the end.

*******

*Jessica's POV*

I was standing in front of the mirror, fixing my hair into a neat ponytail when I heard my mother's voice, "Jassu, Breakfast Tyaar hain."
(Breakfast is ready.)

"Coming, Maa," I shouted back and glanced last time at the mirror. I grabbed my purse and walked out of my room.

"Here you are, have you checked out the time? You have only an hour left for the interview," she said angrily, looking at the clock.

I chuckled, "Relax, Maa; otherwise, people will think that you are happy with my decision."

"Of course, I am not." She scoffed, serving me Aloo prantha.

One of my favorite breakfasts.

I rolled my eyes and remained silent. I didn't want to argue with her on such an important day of my life. I was going for an interview today and it wasn't just a normal interview, but it was very special. As I got it from the New York Times. Yes! The publication house owned by Max's father, and now Max was the CEO of that company.

They had decided to extend their business and opened several new branches in different regions, and India was one of them.

Of course! I knew it must be Max's idea, so that he could find a way to be in touch with me.

It had been one and a half years since I came back to India. Max and I dated throughout college without any problem, but the real test came after we completed our course and I was moving back to my country. Max was very excited to work with his father and I didn't want to stop him from fulfilling his dream.

Although, I hated the idea of staying away from Max, as it was like leaving a piece of me in NYU, I didn't have a choice. Max also masked his feelings and told me to go.

He told me that he was going to miss me, but never once did he ask me to stay. He was very well aware of my situation. My mother was continuously persuading me to come back and I was running out of excuses to stay back at NYU. So, he'd let me leave, but that didn't mean it was going to be easy.

I still remember the last day in NY when he came to drop me off at the airport. The memories of my last day were so fresh like it happened yesterday.

"Max, I have to go now," I whispered in his ears and felt his arms tighten around me.

"Max, let her go." Kyle patted his shoulder.

Max nodded and I took a step backward from his embrace. As soon his arms left me, I started feeling empty and cold.

I gulped down, holding back the tears. I turned towards Kyle and hugged him, "Take care of him."

He nodded, and said, "I will, but you have to take care of yourself."

I smiled weakly and looked at Nina, who was crying on Travis’ shoulder. Yes, they were together now and the credit went to Max. He played the role of Cupid so well, mainly because of his insecurities. He didn't want to take any chance of losing me to Travis. I tried to convince him that he was the only one whom I wanted, but everything was useless when it comes to his possessive behavior. I even threatened him that if something went wrong to cause Nina's heartbreak, I would kill him, but he seemed sure about it.

Now, watching them in each other’s arms, I felt happy and relieved.

After giving them my best wishes, I turned and started walking towards the security panel. Suddenly, I heard a voice, which made me stop dead in my tracks. I turned around on my heels and my eyes widened when I noticed him at his knees. The most surprising thing was the song, he was singing in Hindi. Yes! He learned the song for me. My heart started beating fast and I my breath caught in my throat when the words registered in my mind: