Chapter 38: You

Chapter 38:

DENISE'S POV

I don't know if I just walked out of Captain's house or even Captain's life. For another time, I went through the rain running out of nowhere when my mind just suddenly told me to go inside Jeron's car. But before I could even reach halfway, he went out the driver's side and brought an umbrella for us. He led me on the front seat and the leather cover seat of his car was already wet since I sat down on it. He made his way to his seat and there was some silence. Nothing but the raindrops that keep pouring on the window. He offered me a towel and I dried myself up. I covered myself with his towel which smells a lot like him because it's freezing cold.

"Je." I told him and looked at my direction.

"Mm?"

"Thanks. You know you don't have to wait for me."

"You said you'll be back."

I half smiled and looked away. He still didn't drive the car and I looked straight while the car was already in moist from the weather outside and the temperature inside.

"Nagkulang ba ako?" I asked.

"You know that you're always more than enough for every man out there."

"Then why can't he love me the way he loved me before? Why isn't he doing anything? I mean, why is he letting me slip away from him?"

"Denise, he's not letting you slip away from him. He loves you."

"San banda yun, Je? Pakiexplain. And why are you even defending him? I thought we're all in this together?" I said.

"I'm not defending him, you know that. Alam mong I fought for you with him, at hindi ko yun babalewalain para lang kampihan sya. Kahit masakit manggaling sakin, na mahal ka niya, kung yun lang yung paraan para mamulat ka sa katotohanan, I'll say it. Kasi ayokong nakikita kang nasasaktan, umiiyak, ganyan. Sacrificing yourself for him. Not because he's not worth it but because you deserve more than what he can give you. We had once been friends, Denise. And you know that my brother's his teammate, and to tell you honestly, he has a big heart. Don't let all you conclusions and overthinking thoughts get over you, kasi sa huli, ikaw rin talo." He told me.

"I'm not overthinking, Je. I'm just telling you what's the real score here. Kung alam mo namang nasasaktan na ako, why do you keep pushing me to Captain? Kung alam mo namang sasaktan nya lang ako?"

"I'm not pushing you with him. It's you who's detaching yourself. And, let's be honest here, kahit nasasaktan ka na, nagtitiis ka pa, kasi mahal mo eh."

"I tried many ways to get this relationship back to where it should have been. It just won't work. Hindi mo naman maipipilit ang isang bagay na ayaw talaga. It just don't make any sense. It just gets back to failing and failing."

"You never failed. You just tried 10,000 other ways that didn't work. What's wrong with trying again?"

"What's wrong? You know what's wrong?!

It just keeps breaking my heart."

It was a quick drive to our house when Jeron opened the door for me and led me on our doorstep.

"Hey. I'm sorry about today. I mean, you should've been there." I told him.

"Then if I'm not there, what would you do? Where would you run to?" He replied.

I was silent.

"This too shall pass. Don't give up, not this time. I mean you've already surpassed a lot of challenges, sayang lahat. If you'll make a decision, think twice or even thrice, you never know what it'll hold for you.. For both of you. I'm doing this for you. I want you to be happy right? At kahit yang mga mapupungay mong mata sinasabing mahal mo pa rin siya. And for the record, mahal ka rin niya. Mahal ka ng mokong na yun. Mahal ka ni Jeric Fortuna. Pero dapat magtiwala ka." He said and kissed my forehead.