Chapter 1 || Year 1

Draco's POV-

She was there on my boat. The small girl with the bushy hair and brown eyes, standing out in contrast to the others, yet I found her so intriguing. She was talking to a girl with black hair and innocent eyes about what she knew of Hogwarts.

There was this urge running through me to get to know her, so i went with my instinct, and decided to speak up.

"You talk a lot, but I haven't heard you mention your name. Say, what is it?" I grinned, watching as she looked up from the girl.

"I'm Hermione. Hermione Granger. And this is Pansy Parkinson," Hermione smiled, motioning to herself and the black haired girl next to her, "What's your name?"

"I'm Draco Malfoy," I responded, smirking slightly.

"Are you named after the constellation?" Hermione asked eagerly.

"Yes, I am," I smiled.

She smiled back, a toothy grin lining her face, and returned talking to Pansy, who hung onto every word Hermione said.

Finally, we arrived at Hogwarts, and the gamekeeper, Hagrid, or whatever his name was, brought us all up to the castle. We all walked into the great hall, all the other years were already seated. In front of me, I could hear Hermione talking to Pansy, something about the roof being bewitched to look like the night sky. I looked up, and sure enough, there were stars and galaxies above us, which looked cool. After all, my mum's side of my family are named after stars.

All of us first years crowded around the stage where a lone stool with a tattered hat stood.

Professor Mcgonagall, an older teacher with a serious expression, explained what we had to do. She picked up the list of names and read out the first one, which happened to be Hermione.

Hermione looked nervous as she walked up the front, sitting down on the stool and closing her eyes. I could hear the youngest Weasley saying she was mental, but I decided not to retaliate on that. After a few seconds, the hat made its decision, yelling out 'Gryffindor'. I let out a small groan as she got up of the stool, grinning, and walked over to the gryffindor table.

After a girl called Susan Bones was sorted into hufflepuff, my name was called. I swaggered up to the front and sat down on the stool, the hat only grazing my head before it shouted 'slytherin'.

I smirked as I strolled over to the slytherin table, sitting down next to a fourth year. I glanced over at the gryffindor table to find Hermione looking over, giving a small, sad smile, which I returned.

This is definitely going to be a difficult friendship.