Chapter 49 || Year 7

Draco's POV-

From the moment Hermione Granger broke my nose with the sole of her foot when our fourth year was coming to a close with Fred Weasley by her side, I knew she would be devoted to the twin for the rest of her life, and that she would always love the Weasley, just like she would always love her two best friends. So when the same Fred Weasley was killed in front of her eyes, I knew she wouldn't be the same.

I was reluctant to leave her side after she had slightly calmed down from the anxiety attack that had overcome her, but she insisted that she had to go to the last Horcrux with Potter and Weasley, and that she would be fine. I decided that there would be no use in trying to convince the brunette to stay behind, so with a soft kiss and a tight hug, the stubborn Gryffindor had disappeared into the dangerous night.

It had been hours since I had last seen any of the trio, and there hadn't been any sign of their presence. But it was thanks to the sixth year blonde's optimistic words that made me believe that they were safe, and probably in the great hall with the student and teacher survivors.

I was thankful that Luna had stayed with me for the slow-passing hours, and she made no sign of leaving my side, her hand grasped with mine in a reassuring manner. I barely knew the strange girl, and I figured the same went for her, yet she remained with me, through my tears and through my worry, and the innocent girl never once remarked on my past or left me for the sides of the war we were fighting on.

I looked out the window that was on the wall next to the staircase we were sitting on, and noticed that instead of the horrifying darkness, the sun had began to rise, the light spreading across Hogwarts and showing the true destruction of the night's battle.

"Draco, let's go outside," Luna whispered, standing up as she noticed figures starting to emerge from the front doors.

I nodded my head, exhaling slightly as I lifted myself up from the staircase, my legs slightly numb from not moving for hours straight. Luna dragged me through the halls of Hogwarts until we reached the grand entrance, multiple other students, many covered in blood as well as sporting cuts and bruises.

We finally stepped outside, the light slightly burning my eyes as all I was used to was the cold, lifeless night. I looked around, my eyes frantically searching for the mass of brunette hair, but they failed to find the nest, sending me into another round of panic, my hand held onto Luna's so tightly that she slightly flinched in pain.

"Where is she, Luna?" I questioned, my heart racing.

The blonde girl didn't reply verbally, but instead lifted up her arm and pointed to the right of her. I almost let out a sob of gratitude when I saw her standing next to Weasley, but the absence of Potter was noticeable.

As if on queue, Hermione turned her head around, her chocolate brown eyes that used to hold so much life, but now a broken mess, locking with mine, her orbs widening and slightly sparking with an emotion that I deciphered as hope crossed with love.

At the same time, we left our companions, and the two of us sprinted towards one another, pushing those who were standing brokenly in front of us out of our way, until we found one another, both our eyes filled with tears of relief. We clutched onto one another, our hands grasping at each other's skin and hair as we smashed our lips together with an equal amount of passion, not caring about the audience that we knew would be watching.

I could feel the tears finally fall from my closed eyelids as I pulled her small body closer to mine, not wanting to let her go again, too scared that if I do she would be completely gone from
my life. When we finally pulled apart, I slowly opened my eyes, noticing the small trails of water cascading down her bleeding cheeks.