Chapter 28 || Year 4

Hermione's POV-

I walked through the crowd on the grandstand to try and find Ron; my heart racing for my best friend who was still in the maze, fighting for the winning prize, although I didn't think that was his intention.

I continued to walk through the crowd, muttering apologies to the people I pushed past, but was suddenly pulled back.

"Granger," Someone whispered in my ear, and I let out a small groan.

"Malfoy," I acknowledged, turning around to face the grinning blonde.

I looked at him, a little surprised by his happy mood, so I instinctively took a step back.

"Why are you in such a good mood?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"It could be one of two reasons, or possibly even both," He smirked, his silver eyes gleaming with a happiness I never even knew he could produce.

"Well go on then," I chuckled.

"The first reason is that Potter has a possible chance of being attacked by some random beast in that maze," I rolled my eyes at that but motioned for him to continue, "and the second reason is that at the completion of this task, it means that the other schools will be going back soon after, therefore meaning that Krum would be going home too,"

"And why would that matter to you?" I asked in a whisper.

"Because when your with him, you like him, but I don't want that. He's bad for you," Draco mumbled.

"Oh not you too," I groaned, shaking my head, "I'm sick of everyone saying Viktor is bad for me. I can take care of myself."

"Hermione, that's not what I mean. You know yourself it's not what I mean," He sighed.

My heart leapt but I tried to ignore the feeling. I knew I liked Draco, a lot for that matter, but I knew I couldn't act on it. Not only would I be hated on and be called a traitor by everyone in the school, but I couldn't bare to loose my best friends. Especially Ron, the other boy who was playing tug-a-war with my heart with Draco on the opposite end of the rope.

"Then please explain what you're trying to tell me. Unfortunately, my intelligence has come up with over 37 things you could have meant, but knowing how dumb you are, it's probably not anything remotely close to what I think it could be, and it would be something that not even the second dumbest person in the world could think of because it is that stupid and unintelligent." I spat, taking out the anger and confusion going on inside my head out on the nearest person, who happened to be him.

"No need to become a bitch," He sneered, his voice no longer energetic and welcoming, but now harsh as the happiness evaporated out of him in a matter of seconds.,

"Just tell me what the fuck it is you're trying to tell me, would you?" I yelled.

Draco looked slightly taken aback by my sudden outburst, especially because it is the first time he heard me swear like that.

"I'm sorry," He mumbled, his voice immediately becoming softer, "I just want to say that I, Draco Malfoy, like -"

He was cut short by the audience around us standing up and clapping, the noise so loud I thought I wouldn't be able to hear anything for a week. I turned around and faced the field, smiling as I saw my best friend lying there, but it slowly faded as I took in what he was actually doing.

Harry was laying across a body - Cedric's body, and his shoulders were shaking. I heard a scream that sounded like Fleur's cut across the entire grandstand, causing everyone to quiet down in less than a second.

The only sound that could be heard was Harry's sobs and Dumbledore's attempts to calm him down.

"Hermione-"Draco started but I silenced him with my finger.

I grabbed his hand, closing my fingers around his as I dragged him down closer. He stood next to me, keeping his hand in mine; neither of us caring what people thought if they looked over at the both of us. But we weren't the main attention, Cedric's lifeless body was, his eyes still wide with fear. Harry continued to sob, refusing to let go of the seventeen year old's limp body, clutching on as if his life depended on it.

Cedric's father was down there now, also clutching onto his son's pale side, crying his own tears.

I let out a sob as I turned around to face Draco, who was looking down at me with concern in his eyes. he wiped away a few of the salty tears that had pooled out of my eyes before pulling me into his body - holding me as I shook with violent sobs.

Draco didn't say anything, he just stood there and held my frail form, probably thinking the same as I was.

That there is no pointy in saying 'it will be okay' when then the both of us knew otherwise, and the both of us knowing the future war that would be coming, if it will be in a years time or in ten, would be worse than the first time. Because the both of us knew without actually knowing, purely by the state Harry Potter was in when he portkeyed back into Hogwarts grounds, he fought off our biggest enemy any of our generation or the previous one knew.

And the both of us knew that the only way to survive was by sticking together.

Even if it killed us both.