Chapter 38 || Year 6

Draco's POV-

Everything that I tried to fix was failing; nothing I did was right. I tried to push her away so I wouldn't hurt her, but all I did was potentially kill her; her heart already failing and flatlining 13 times since she was admitted to St Mungo's, and it was all my fault, every broken bone, every scratch and cut.

That image, the one of her lifeless body at the bottom of the Astronomy Tower, never once being erased from my mind. I remember running the fastest I have before to reach where she was, the minutes passing as I tried to reach her precious to whether or not she would survive, but that mere memory sent me into a dream-like phase.

When I reached her, I felt my breath hitch in my throat as I took in her form - blood seeping out from her nose as she lay on the ground in a twisted position, her broken femur poking out from under her skin, slicing it the whole way up.

I ran over to her side, grabbing her wrist and checking for her pulse, but I didn't feel one, sending me into a mode of panic. I did the only thing that came to my head, which was send a patronus to any of the teachers. I grabbed out my wand and closed my eyes, picturing her rosy cheeks and chocolate eyes, muttering the incantation whilst doing so, but nothing but a pathetic, thin wisp of white came from my wand; her smiling face turning back to the image of her pale, bleeding body.

I growled and chucked my wand to the floor, giving up on all means of magic, and decided to attempt to save her the muggle way, us wizards only adapting to the method within the last 10 years. I put both my hands on her chest and compressed down, repetitively doing so, before before parting her lips and placing mine on her freezing, lifeless ones, breathing into her body, before resuming on the compressions.

"Come on, Hermione, don't die on me," I demanded, feeling tears burn my sockets as she resumed to remain still and cold. She made no signs of any movement, so I quickly grabbed my wand, stashing it into my pocket, before picking up her light body, sprinting to the the Hospital Wing with her in my arms.

As soon as I burst through the doors of the school's hospital, I shouted out for help, placing Hermione down on the bed gently, ignoring the tears I knew were sliding down my cheeks. The school's healer came running out from her small office, her eyes wide as she took in the body that was laying on the bed.

"My, dear boy, what on earth happened?" Madam Pomfrey asked.

"She jumped ... Astronomy tower ..." Was all I managed to get out.

She nodded and pulled the curtain around the bed, but she allowed me to stand next to Hermione's body. But no matter how hard she tried to restart Hermione's heart, nothing was happening, and it took all my effort and self-will not to break down on the spot as I looked at the brunette's bruised, lifeless body.

I was pulled back to the reality surrounding me when the room I was sitting in was filled with multiple machines beeping. I looked over at her, all these different cords stuck on her body and pierced into her skin, with two going into her nose, each one connecting up to a different machine. The beeping didn't stop, and only then did I look up at the monitor hanging above the head of the bed; instead of a jagged, moving line where her heart-rate was being displayed, it was replaced with a constant flat line.

I guess her heart doesn't want to continue beating; it being the fourteenth time it had stopped within the three weeks she had been in here. I watched as a group of healers stormed into her room, each one preparing to do what they had to in order to save her, but that was when I realised they weren't bringing in any machines with them.

"Where's that electric heart starter machine?" I asked, standing up.

"I'm afraid it's been used on her so many times that if we use it on her anymore, her heart will just give out and we definitely won't be able to restart it again," A male healer answered.

"So what? We just sit here and see if her heart just picks up right back to where it was before without helping it beat again?" I spat at him.

"I'm afraid that's exactly what we have to do-"

"Fuck that then," I growled, pushing past him and over to Hermione, moving a few of the grouped up medical cords and tubes, then starting compressions on her chest, exactly how I was when she first got into this situation.

I continued for what seemed like hours - compressing her chest a few times then giving her a breath, repeating the progress continuously until my hands were red and aching, but she still lay there lifeless, the monitor above her still giving out a wild, continuous beat. It was only then I stopped trying to revive her and grabbed her cheeks in my hands and rested my forehead on hers.

"I'm so, so sorry, Mione," I whispered, a sob escaping past my lips as I closed my eyes, tears falling at a rapid pace.

I couldn't bare it; the pain. I had already given up so much within the last year, but to have her taken away from me in the worst possible way shattered everything inside me. I broke down, my head on her shoulder; my sobs echoing around the room we were in. I could feel the sympathetic stares of the healers on me, but at that moment, I couldn't care less what people thought about me - all I cared about was the girl I technically killed.

That was when I felt the slightest twitch in her shoulder, causing me to spring back in surprise. I then saw her index finger move, almost like her body was trying to wake itself up.

I didn't know exactly what those minor twitches meant, but I took it as her body trying to revive itself, so once again I started compressions on her chest, it seeming like it was the only thing I knew how to do.

Then it happened.

Her chest began to vibrate with constant thuds and the continuous beeping of the monitor stopped. But then she did the unexpected.

She took in a deep breath and her chocolate brown eyes shot open in one swift motion. Her breathing was heavy and her eyes were glazed and distant, but then she focused them on me; those chocolate orbs staring at me like nothing had happened.

That's when I couldn't contain my emotions any longer and put my head on her chest, crying tears of relief and happiness that she was no longer gone.

"You're back ... You're here," Was all I managed to get out through the sobs that were overpowering my words.

She was silent for a moment, but then stroked my cheek ever so softly.

"Yes," She whispered, running her fingers through my hair in a soothing way, "I'm here."